Let recorded material be stored in the last folder used.

Currently, when I want to record in the audio editor and save my recording, NS2 defaults to the library folder. So I have to switch folders each and every time. This slows down my workflow if, say, I'm recording vocals for a project. Instead, I would like Nanostudio 2 to remember the last folder I used/stored my recording in. This way, I'd only need to switch folders when recording for a different project rather than each and every time I record something. It's a pain to navigate the folders each and every time I record something new. :) Thank you for reading.

Comments

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Currently, when I want to record in the audio editor and save my recording, NS2 defaults to the library folder. So I have to switch folders each and every time. This slows down my workflow if, say, I'm recording vocals for a project. Instead, I would like Nanostudio 2 to remember the last folder I used/stored my recording in. This way, I'd only need to switch folders when recording for a different project rather than each and every time I record something. It's a pain to navigate the folders each and every time I record something new. :) Thank you for reading.

You’re not wrong but in the meantime you can just save your recordings to the Library folder and then go into Manage Audio Files, Select All and Move them to the folder of your choice.

• also you don't need take a care where exactly are your sample stored - just in some moment perform "ARCHIVE" action on your project - archive packs ALL used samples INTO project - so after that you can completely delete samples from their previous location .. that is what i usually do, for example i do lot partial mixdowns and then load those files back to Obsiian / Slate directly form "mixdowns folder" .. at the end of day i do "Archive" and then i delete mixdowns folder content ..

Also - if you create patch in Obsidian and you save it, OR you save Slate bank - samples are copied into patch / bank folder, so again you can then edlete them from their initial directory where you recorded them ...

• I would much rather have an option to choose default which folder(s) to save into.

• One consideration (which I'm only 99% sure is true...): If you do a "Save Project As..." into a new folder, and all of your samples are in the project folder, NS will duplicate all of the audio files. If you tend to save many versions, audio files will be duplicated each time you save a new version. If your project instead references samples from the Library, "save as" will not duplicate the audio but continue to reference them from the Library.

Again, only 99% on this. :)

• As a possible work-around...
    Keep the Library folder clean with no loose audio samples - keep them all in folders. Record all of your audio into the Library folder and then later scoop them all up in one go and put them into a project folder (or where ever you prefer). Not sure if that would work with your workflow @jwmmakerofmusic but it would save a whole lot of coding and freting over the reprecussons of making changes to the way the app works. Still, the suggestion is worth considering... once the list is whittled down a bit?

• edited July 2019

@Will
    Again, only 99% on this

Correct, that is how it works. Save/Save As on project never adds audio files to project. For this is responsible "Archive" function which gathers all used samples and saves them inside project.

On other side, if you save Obsidian patch or Slate bank - then all used samples are saved into patch / bank - so i you don't need them anymore you can now delete them from their original location.