How to import complete drum kits?

Scratching my head here....

I am trying to import a complete wav-file drum kit into Slate from my Dropbox. I have come so far as I have the folder of the drum kit in the Instrument folder of Slate. Trying to use the kit from within Slate I see the folder in the User category but I see no wav-files inside it? I realize I probably have to map the wav-files to the pads of Slate somehow but that is where my brain stops working🤪. Help? Do I have to individually do it per sample or is there another way since all the samples are located inside a specific folder already?

I have been searching for tutorials on this matter but come up empty-handed....

Regards,
dmfan

Comments

• Is the “drum kit” a Slate Kit? That is, did you or someone else save a Slate kit that you are trying to import or is this a collection of drum .wav samples? Load a Slate kit into Slate’s User folder, then you can import the kit using the Browse Tab (far left). Random samples will need to be loaded in one at a time to create a kit, which can then be saved as a Slate kit. Slate will not know which samples should go on which pads - you have to decide that part. I suggest using the same layout as the Factory kits so you can readily swap kits and the MIDI notes retain the corret beat, but that may not matter if you use a different workflow, like keeping each kit the same type of drum or percussion and each track is dedicated to that particular piece of kit. Anyway, press the Sample Tab (far left) to navigate to the folder of samples and load them into each pad. .

From the manual:
    DOUBLE TAP on an item to load a sample to the selected pad.
    This action always replaces Sample 1 of the selected pad.

TAP AND HOLD on an item and then DRAG AND DROP on the grid to load a sample to any pad. If the pad has enough screen area then you have the option of dropping the file to Sample 1, 2 or 3. Otherwise, the dropped file always replaces Sample 1.

Hope that helps.

• No, it is just a downloaded folder or collection with free wav.-files that together makes up a drum kit.

Thanks, it all cleared up now and I will try your suggestions!

Regards,
    DMfan

• A better place for your own samples is inside the Library folder. You can’t edit files inside the instrument folders.

• edited July 2019

Creating drum kits in Slate is pretty fast and easy:

1) Import the samples into the general library in NS2 (and not into the Slate instrument folders)

2) Create a new Slate track and initialise the kit using the hamburger menu top right

3) In the Slate instrument view select the Browse icon top left

4) Navigate to the relevant samples in the library

5) Drag and drop the samples onto the pads. You can drag and drop up to 3 samples per Slate pad and when you drop them you can choose whether to replace or add a layer

Also if you find you are always editing the layering of the samples you can save a default Slate kit to use as a template.

You should be able to build a full kit in a few minutes this way.

• @richardyot said:
    Creating drum kits in Slate is pretty fast and easy:

1) Import the samples into the general library in NS2 (and not into the Slate instrument folders)

2) Create a new Slate track and initialise the kit using the hamburger menu top right

3) In the Slate instrument view select the Browse icon top left

4) Navigate to the relevant samples in the library

5) Drag and drop the samples onto the pads. You can drag and drop up to 3 samples per Slate pad and when you drop them you can choose whether to replace or add a layer

Also if you find you are always editing the layering of the samples you can save a default Slate kit to use as a template.

You should be able to build a full kit in a few minutes this way.

Perfect. One tweak...

Step 3.5) Tap 'samples' in the top right of the window. More in the manual: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Slate.html#browse-samples

• @Will said:
    Perfect. One tweak...

Step 3.5) Tap 'samples' in the top right of the window. More in the manual: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Slate.html#browse-samples

Yes - good catch.