Stick & Garrote: Half-life – summer vibes

Got a nice guitar after twenty years of not picking one up, so here's some chill vibes for the Summer heat with blazingly awkward guitar solos :D

Details: Mainly composed in Nanostudio 2 with the stock instruments and effects, AUs used were: ShimmerFX, Blackhole and Reamp. I had a Mellowsound in the project but because it fails exporting I forgot about it and instead used Ableton's Sampler for a Mellotron choir sound.

Mixed in Ableton Live, and I also recorded the guitars in Ableton. There's been quite a bit of layering done in Ableton this time. I was having fun just adding things and trying to figure out which things actually came through in the mix.

Comments

• @Stiksi I have to come back to this again as it was raining:DDD it was still good thou.really enjoyed listening to this. Like your clean mix and air in it, it is summer vibe there indeed, also your guitar riffs are good. I would like to get around my guitar to do something but I need to learn it first:/

• @Stiksi also I find out about Blackhole and I’m impressed. I did always want it but couldn’t justify price for hardware box. Amazing reverb indeed. Now integrated into iPad:) we live in great times I suppose

• Sweet track Mr Stiksi!! Great vibe & I love the energy.

• @Cray23 said:
    @Stiksi I have to come back to this again as it was raining:DDD it was still good thou.really enjoyed listening to this. Like your clean mix and air in it, it is summer vibe there indeed, also your guitar riffs are good. I would like to get around my guitar to do something but I need to learn it first:/

Thanks! And while you're learning, you can just record in a few chords and licks and use a Slate to jam with those. That's fun too! I had to record these parts in 1-4 bar increments because my timing would go way off after that :D

What I didn't expect was that the inherent tuning issues of the guitar become very apparent when you slap it on a track with a bunch of synths in perfect tune. But you can get around that with effects and adjusting your playing style a bit. And making the synths slop a bit helps too.

@SlapHappy said:
    Sweet track Mr Stiksi!! Great vibe & I love the energy.

Thanks, much appreciated! :)

• @Stiksi really like this one!

• @anickt said:
    @Stiksi really like this one!

Thank you kindly! 🙂

• I love the way this hold's your interest going through, always a tough thing to do with instrumental music and the guitar at the end is pretty fine, I don't believe you haven't touched one for 20 years though. :)

• Oh, so you’re a guitarist as well are you? Should’ve known. You probably play more instruments than prince did. 😃
    Love how the song totally changes the last third to a lovely alt pop tune, ready for all the summer festivals. 😃

• @NumptyDumppty said:
    I love the way this hold's your interest going through, always a tough thing to do with instrumental music and the guitar at the end is pretty fine, I don't believe you haven't touched one for 20 years though. :)

Haha, nooo, that’s just a lot of editing and a lot of takes 😅 both my guitars were stolen from storage around 2004 but at that point I hadn’t played them for five years. I was never very good, but I did play for maybe six years or so. And thanks, I was a bit worried the track might go stale at some point, these laid-back types are not my forté.

@Jeppan74 said:
    Oh, so you’re a guitarist as well are you? Should’ve known. You probably play more instruments than prince did. 😃
    Love how the song totally changes the last third to a lovely alt pop tune, ready for all the summer festivals. 😃

Uh, I don’t actually play any other instrument, I just mash the buttons and hope that sound comes out 😂 I love scale locked keys like on the Ableton Push or the NS keyboard. I did actually have Summer festivals on my mind, I’d just bought tickets to the last one of the season, which is next week. So looking forward to it!🍹