Midi Learn range

I've been spoiled by the ease of which other DAWs can set the range of learned midi cc's.

For example, if I Set my expression pedal to control a mix fader for several instruments, there's no easy way to keep it from exceeding 0db.

Comments

• edited July 2019

not related to this requested feature (it would be definitely very handy, totally agree !) but -do you know you totally don't need take a care if you are exceedimg 0 dB on imdividual tracks ? As soon as it doesn't clip on master track, it will never clip on subtracks no matter how high you set faders... That's magic of 32bit floating point mixing engine ;) It is not
    possible tomget clippinh, only place where you need take a care about 0dB is master out (i mean HW out, most right channel which is always visible in mixer) - and simple limiter on "main mix" tracks prevents this clip

Just wanted tom mention it, many people are not aware this ;)

• @dendy said:
    not related to this requested feature (it would be definitely very handy, totally agree !) but -do you know you totally don't need take a care if you are exceedimg 0 dB on imdividual tracks ? As soon as it doesn't clip on master track, it will never clip on subtracks no matter how high you set faders... That's magic of 32bit floating point mixing engine ;) It is not
    possible tomget clippinh, only place where you need take a care about 0dB is master out (i mean HW out, most right channel which is always visible in mixer) - and simple limiter on "main mix" tracks prevents this clip

Just wanted tom mention it, many people are not aware this ;)

oh wow, thanks for this info! I think I need to read up more on the 32 bit floating thing, as I don't really understand what that means exactly. Very useful tip there, @dendy!

• @palm

watch this, it is explained in Reason, but this is same basically in ALL daws (definitely including NS)

• @palm said:
    I've been spoiled by the ease of which other DAWs can set the range of learned midi cc's.

For example, if I Set my expression pedal to control a mix fader for several instruments, there's no easy way to keep it from exceeding 0db.

Sorry for OTing but I’m in the market for an expression pedal. What do you use and would you recommend it? At the moment I’m looking at an Xsonic Xtone audio interface which has an expression input.

And more to the point, that 32bit floating point is a real game changer, Even though it’s not exactly a new thing, I still have trouble believing what’s possible. It’s like when digital cameras went from crappy jpeg to RAW.