Quantum and Beatstep Pro midi sequencers with Nanostudio2

If you are interested in hard-/software sequencing nanostudio, I'd like to invite you to share your experience here :)

My favourite way of playing over the last years with ios has become sequencing in the audiobus/aum environment.

Quantum midi sequencer is what I tried to go with all the time really and when I recently fulfilled a wish, the Beatstep Pro sequencer, it was easy to see how nicely they combine with nanostudio now.

The sequencing integration project is evolving in several points, syncing, routing etc. which I hope to being able to talk about with you ;)

Greetings&Thanks!

Comments

• I love sequencing NS2 with both of those!

Quantum is really a dream with NS because NS is so easy to set up multi-timbrally and Q is so quick to get parts going with the scale and draw modes. Once you get down with Quantum's multiple tracks/parts and clock dividers... magic. For 'Berlin school' type stuff, you gotta check out "Value Only Sequences" on page 22 of the manual. You can use one sequence/rack to transpose one or more other sequences. The app is magic I tell you!

I wish Q had the simple Snapshot setup of his older app, midiSequencer. Versions are cool but they're a bit fussy compared to the old mS Snapshot setups. Plus, versions are only per rack. I want to be able to jam around with various sequencers and save the current status of all of them. Can be done with project files but that becomes a mess quickly as well.

Another critically awesome thing about Quantum is the ability to change the sliders to 'Step length' via the 'TIME' tab. With that view, you can change any step to any length which makes it trivial to bust out of the 16th note pulse thing so common to step sequencers. It's this sort of stuff that makes me look sideways at the BSP. :)

Plus the newer trigger every nth loop stuff means you can set up stuff like C... (a C held for four steps by setting it's step time to 4/1) and cccc (four C notes at the default pulse) all in a row and set them to trigger opposite of each other. So, these steps:

Cccccaabb
    Will play: C(held for four steps) A A B B
    and then: C C C C A A B B

But loop perfectly in time.

Stopping because I could blather on about Quantum until the tax collector shows up. Happy you started this thread though!

• edited August 2019

D. @Will,

The app is magic I tell you!

yes, it's true!, spooky action at a distance, not for nothing did he name it Quantum ...

Thanks for the link to the quick start manual, with the nth loop trigger option.
    The per step ornamentation (trills!) I'm planning to try out more now I've fit in the BSP.
    The setting all up took a long time, literally years; a journey of learning sequencing ... :-)

What you've been referring to - '...transposing sequences – using sequence notes as input to another sequence to transpose it' - is exactly the focus I want to highlight here.

Multitimbral MIDI sequencing Nanostudio instruments by Quantum, extended/substituted with BSP in a hybrid modular environment.

Rather than 'just working' with an ipad + hardware sequencer, I took three ipads (most of my 'studio' are used&older devices) to distribute the tasks.

Furthermore, the high convenience of hosting NS2 and Quantum MS in audiobus&aum for syncing (MMC, link start/stop) and saving the current state.
    Plus the advantage of full control and intervention in the dynamics of the sequence parameters by utilizing two nanostudios, i.e. sorting the tracks by complexity, like the transposing track here and the transposed sequence track there etc.

Going to present it in a video if I get to pull myself together.

Grtx

• @Stanley_V that is super cool to be able to visualize with your diagram and notes! I would love to see this as a video.

• @drez said:
    @Stanley_V that is super cool to be able to visualize with your diagram and notes! I would love to see this as a video.

What Drez Said.

• I've had good fun using a 1/4 speed sequence on the BSP as the transpose source for one or more Quantum sequences. Since the pads are still active, can also intersperse manual transpositions.

I notice you have a BCR-2000. I haven't tried it yet but as I understand it, you can set it up so that the BCR and Quantum communicate values bi-directionally (the BCR will represent the Quantum values via the red dot rings).

As I said, I haven't tried it yet but I've been meaning to try to set the BCR up along these lines (based on using four sequencers in Quantum since I rarely use more than four):

• Encoders = 32 steps
    • buttons 1-8 = change slider types (note, velocity, gate...)
    • buttons 9-12 = change target sequencer rack (1-4)
    • top dials 1-4, encoder group two: sequence playback speed (dial per seq 1-4)
    • top dials 5-8, encoder group two: sequence direction (dial per seq 1-4)
    • top dials, encoder group three: sequence start/end (two dials per seq 1-4)
  • BCR and Quantum communicate values bi-directionally (the BCR will represent the Quantum values via the red dot rings).

yes, that's how bcr works.. had one few years ago, one of best midi controllers ever made.. it can even send sysexes !

• edited August 2019

• edited August 2019

@Will, @drez

thank you , friendly regards

• edited August 2019

@Stanley_V 🤯

That is nuts!!! Soooo much going on. Is that really 3 iPads?!?

• edited August 2019

... and an iPhone4s, yeah.
    In principle you can even extend it.
    Like in quantum teleportation.
    Cheers @drez :)

@Will
    For the BCR to receive the directed CC's I activate MIDI Thru on the MIDI Input in MidiDesigner Pro, with a duplicate surface template for two consecutive pages on the BCR, and send the MDP Virtual MIDI Output to the BCR in the AUM Matrix.

And yes, just now realizing, while I only thought of transposing the BSP from Q, a BSP seq can in turn transpose a Q seq!💡

• Spaceship cockpit synthesizer wonderland! :love:

• edited July 2020

https://vimeo.com/video/435525658

Abstract:

I'm proposing an old/new multitimbral way of setting up multiple ios devices and hardware.

Embedded in audiobus3, Aum&NanoStudio2 are the MIDI-Brains in this kind of neural network simulation.

The connection is by way of bluetooth and USB-MIDI, all participating devices are synced and start/stop from a Beatstep Pro.

The simple principle is to send information from one peripheral device to another via an 'inter-neuron' (central). Like a->b would go like a->c->b.

A number of external MIDI tracks in NanoStudio2 reflect those assignments.

Pros&Cons: tedious to watch/set-up/maintain, not recommendable for live-use, but rewarding in the long run for creating an environment where the single devices contribute to an integrated (manufacturing MIDI loops) workflow experience.

(Thanks to @SpookyZoo for the inspiration!)

greetings &
    stay safe