Acoustic Slate kits for download - and thoughts on making beats in NS2

2»

Comments

• @drez said:
    These kits are freaking gold. Thank you so much @richardyot

Thanks, glad you like them!

• A new Slate drum kit, this one is based on the Free Orange Tree Jazz-Funk kit:

Jazz-Funk Kit

• Thanks, another cool piece to your impressive collection !

• edited March 2019

@richardyot

One stand-out feature is how easy it is to create new kits in Slate

It really is.

However I have one suggestion that would make it even easier.

Every time I want a new slate kit it always seems to take me forever to find the right three dots to initialise the patch.

If there was an INIT patch command directly in the browser after you double click after adding a new slate track this would make it much easier. Creating new slate kits isn’t something I do every time I use slate, but every time I do use slate I have to go hunting for those dots ;-)

• edited March 2019

@klownshed It's very easy - just save empty kit with name "Default" - next time you add Slate to project it will be automacally loaded with this empty kit, so you don't need to initialise it at all ;)

Same works with Obsidian, if tou save parch named "Default" it will be automatically loaded for every new Obsidian instance

• @dendy said:
    @klownshed It's very easy - just save empty kit with name "Default" - next time you add Slate to project it will be automacally loaded with this empty kit, so you don't need to initialise it at all ;)

Same works with Obsidian, if tou save parch named "Default" it will be automatically loaded for every new Obsidian instance

@dendy said:

Ah ok cool, thanks.

I had actually tried making an empty KIt named it INIT instead but then ended up with a kit called INiT that wasn’t initialised

Default empty kit now works. Ta.

• thanks for your effort on these Slate Kits @richardyot

• Thanks for this @richardyot those handclaps helped me in this creation

• @iPadBeatMaking said:
    Thanks for this @richardyot those handclaps helped me in this creation

Nice chilled out track - I'm glad my stuff contributed in some small way :)

• Thanks so much for these awesome kits! Loving them bigtime!👍🏼☝️❤️

• @iPadBeatMaking cool tune man, nice video as well and name is really matching it’s vibe. Thumbs up!

• Nice track, didn't noticed it before ! :+1:

• edited August 2019

It does show some shortcomings of NS2 though, we really need collapse in the arranger to hide the bussed tracks

hell, YES ! That would be great !

• @WinConway nice job - you took this much further than I ever thought was possible :)

• How do i load the kits when i just have Dropbox?
    I have to manually import all samples and then? :o

• How do i load the kits when i just have Dropbox?
    I have to manually import all samples and then?
    The package file is greyed out... :/

• @tobi77 said:
    How do i load the kits when i just have Dropbox?
    I have to manually import all samples and then?
    The package file is greyed out... :/

Can you not just copy the package into the Files app from Dropbox and then send it to NS2?

• Love these kits. I've just returned to the world of NanoStudio after a lengthy absence and these are very much up my street and very much appreciated. Thanks :)

• @noisyninjamusic said:
    Love these kits. I've just returned to the world of NanoStudio after a lengthy absence and these are very much up my street and very much appreciated. Thanks :)

My pleasure!

• Hey, thanks for posting these! I stumbled across them (and this forum) while trying to find out how to create templates I could import into my new tracks. In other words, if i wanted to just throw a standard 4 on the floor beat down - could i do that with a click?

I didn’t get that far because I found these instead! Very cool, I appreciate it!

If anyone has trouble installing in NS2 - let me know! I wasn’t given NanoStudio2 as an option to “open in” no matter what route I tried. I tried copying to, opening in, exporting to, everything (I’m familiar with this function in iOS, I have Dropbox installed, so it’s not as if I’m just not seeing it - NS2 just isn’t a program option no matter what I do).

Anyway, I did figure out how to get them in and it might be a better way. You can actually pull them in while in NS2 using an import feature that seemed hidden to me until now (I love this app, it’s my favorite DAW on iOS and I’ve tried them all) but sometimes it shocks me how well NS2 manages to hide features in a seemingly very simple app!

The gist of it is: while in a Slate Track, select drum kits, choose “user”, then click “user” again until you get the file browser screen. Then you’ll see anything you’ve already uploaded on the right hand side along with three little dots. If you click those, you can import from Dropbox, Audioshare or Music Library. I spent way too much time on this so I figured I’’d pass it along!

Thanks again, hope to see you guys around soon!

• @obo said:
    Hey, thanks for posting these! I stumbled across them (and this forum) while trying to find out how to create templates I could import into my new tracks. In other words, if i wanted to just throw a standard 4 on the floor beat down - could i do that with a click?

Well, you can save track templates but those only work as starting points. For this kind of a workflow I would suggest using the MIDI export/import function. Export from the Song editor (top left icons, second from the left) Actions menu. Import from the file icon just below the Song editor icon. Just drag the MIDI file into a track and boom, you've got a beat! (Boom part is optional) :smile: