Reason 11 vst

edited August 2019 in General chat

I have seen reason 11 has been announced, can be used as a vst with au coming soon.

Reason was my first daw, bought it at v2.5 and upgraded a few times. Just loved the flow of it, though it started to lose its appeal in past few years.

Now that I’m rediscovering music I’ve found iPad (and in particular ns2) is the way for me to go, even though I have a pretty powerful MacBook Pro too.

So..I for one would love to see reason 11 as an auv3. Some of the synths, effect and routing possibilities are so much fun. Anyone think it will ever happen? Could it?

Comments

• See what they’ve already done on iOS. Nice sounding synths but not impressive overall IMHO. I’m quite happy (and productive) with NS2 and a few choice AU’s. I wish I could sell my other apps on eBay! ;)

• I doubt it. Just looked it up and you will able be able to use reasons instruments and fx in any daw with the new rack vst. It would be super awesome if they released them all as auv3 apps but it wont happen. They seem pretty set on their poorly implemented closed system daw on ios. Thor for ipad is in dire need of attention but they neglect it. Figure was super promising but was never developed past its original form. Its a bummer because they were ahead of the game 5 years ago on ios but they have dropped the ball imo. So dont get your hopes up.

• edited August 2019

@Nomzai said:
    I doubt it. Just looked it up and you will able be able to use reasons instruments and fx in any daw with the new rack vst. It would be super awesome if they released them all as auv3 apps but it wont happen. They seem pretty set on their poorly implemented closed system daw on ios. Thor for ipad is in dire need of attention but they neglect it. Figure was super promising but was never developed past its original form. Its a bummer because they were ahead of the game 5 years ago on ios but they have dropped the ball imo. So dont get your hopes up.

Well they were set on their own closed system daw on Mac and pc prior to this release. Now any daw can use their full suite of instruments and effects. They are cool because of the way they can all be connected any which way by virtual cables.

They have opened up to a new audience (though price seems high). If iOS pro music market continues to grow I could see it happening.

• edited August 2019

@johnrob66 said:

Well they were set on their own closed system daw on Mac and pc prior to this release. Now any daw can use their full suite of instruments and effects. They are cool because of the way they can all be connected any which way by virtual cables.

They have opened up to a new audience (though price seems high). If iOS pro music market continues to grow I could see it happening.

They havent even made their one standalone synth on ios an auv3. Its needed updates forever and it seems to be forgotten. This is their flagship synth. Reason compact is kind of cool but its very closed. It seems they are trying to do what korg is doing with gadget so i highly doubt they will invest time to make any of their stuff auv3.

Not saying it wouldnt be extremely cool but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

• edited August 2019

@Nomzai said:

@johnrob66 said:

They havent even made their one standalone synth on ios an auv3. Its needed updates forever and it seems to be forgotten. This is their flagship synth. Reason compact is kind of cool but its very closed. It seems they are trying to do what korg is doing with gadget so i highly doubt they will invest time to make any of their stuff auv3.

Not saying it wouldnt be extremely cool but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

I think they’re really pushing Europa as their flagship now, so Thor was a little sidelined. I don’t think Thor has sold anywhere near their expectation on iOS and I agree that they have pretty much ignored it. I can’t really blame them, the margin on an iOS app is pretty slim.

I like how they approached the complexity on a small screen, it was a really well designed app, so I’m sad that it’s not very useful anymore.

• I know ns2 doesn’t have inter-app audio, but can I record reason compact/Europa in ns2 as midi? If not, what’s the best or only way to record this? Works well in Cubasis.
    Thanks.

• record as midi ?

Do you mean send MIDI from NS2 into Europa and then record audio back to NS ?

• @dendy I just want to play and record within the NS2 environment, but use Europa as the instrument.

It needs to be available to mix down as final song.

• edited September 2019

ok understand .. as you said, because NS2 doesn't support IAA, there is no direct way .. there is additional problem that Reason Compact doesn't support virtual MIDI, which complicates things even more (if synths supports virtual MIDI - like Walforf NAVE or Propellerheads Thor, you can send MIDI directly from NS2 into that synth using NS2 "External MIDI" instrument)

I would say - best way is load it as IAA in Cubasis or other IAA compatible host, record melody as audio and then import this audio into NS2 into Obsidian or Slate sampler ...

There are ways how to send MIDI notes directly from NS into Reason but i would say it's complicated, it involves AudioBus needed even for routing MIDI and still at the end you will need record Reason output just as audio loop and ten load this loop into nanostudio sampler - so, for this case, less painfull way, if you really want sounds from Europa, is to use other IAA host to record it as audio loop ..

• @dendy thank you that explains it. It’s too complicated to be worth it I think, which is a shame.

• Reason Compact is AB compatible. You might be able to load it there and then point NS2 MIDI Instrument at AudioBus. I haven't actually tried this.

Presuming that works, when you're ready to mix down, you have two options.

1. To use the NS "Mixdown" function you'll need to capture the AudioBus audio into Audioshare or something and then import the mix down into Slate as sample.
    2. Load NS into Audiobus as an Audio Input. Use the AB mixer pointed at something like Audioshare to mix down the audio from both Reason Compact and NS at once.