Midi mute?

I know there are several ways to mute a whole channel, but is there a quick way to just mute/unmute the Midi on a sequencer track? That way, in a live performance, I can stop a channel playing but still hear its release and FX trails.

Comments

• edited September 2019

no at the moment, mute mode is just "track output and content" or "track output only" .. but this sounds to me like nothing complicated to add, forwarded it to matt's queue of small tweaks ..

• Thanks! A good place for such a button might be on this screen...

• +1 Much needed. I did ask Matt for this in beta, but not sure why it wasn’t implemented.

• @dendy said:
    no at the moment, mute mode is just "track output and content" or "track output only" ..

All mute mode would need is a third option, “track content only.”

• @Shabudua said:

@dendy said:
    no at the moment, mute mode is just "track output and content" or "track output only" ..

All mute mode would need is a third option, “track content only.”

yes, this.

• Yes, I’m also puzzled about why this was left out. I remember the discussions.

• edited September 2019

One has to keep in mind that there’s a midi note off still needed for every midi note still playing at the time the channel is muted or there will be stuck notes. People tend to differ over whether the note off should be sent right when the mute occurs, or if it should happen when it normally would if the pattern were still playing.

There are other details to think through, such as whether midi cc’s, sustain pedal, and pitch bend should be muted as well. For instance, if pitched up a semitone when the mute occurs, doe the part come back in pitched up or at the normal pitch?

• edited September 2019

all this should be already properly handed in mute mode "audio and content" .. "content" means basically "midi" ...

• @number37 said:
    One has to keep in mind that there’s a midi note off still needed for every midi note still playing at the time the channel is muted or there will be stuck notes. People tend to differ over whether the note off should be sent right when the mute occurs, or if it should happen when it normally would if the pattern were still playing.

There are other details to think through, such as whether midi cc’s, sustain pedal, and pitch bend should be muted as well. For instance, if pitched up a semitone when the mute occurs, doe the part come back in pitched up or at the normal pitch?

Matt, did you take over Wim's account? :)

This is exactly why it didn't make it into the release. It seemed quick and easy when we first discussed it but quickly became bigger than a breadbox once the edges were considered.

• For live use, you could consolidate your MIDI clips into a single clip and then use the "select clip and double tap properties" shortcut.

• @Will said:

This is exactly why it didn't make it into the release. It seemed quick and easy when we first discussed it but quickly became bigger than a breadbox once the edges were considered.

Audiobus and AUM both allow muting of MIDI sources. I don’t know how they handle these issues, but it seems to work ok...

• edited September 2019

@Shabudua said:

@Will said:

Audiobus and AUM both allow muting of MIDI sources. I don’t know how they handle these issues, but it seems to work ok...

I think the reason for dropping it wasn’t that it can’t be done, but that it would take more time to do than was practical at the time. It will probably be revisited once the big pushes are out of the way.

@Will said:
    For live use, you could consolidate your MIDI clips into a single clip and then use the "select clip and double tap properties" shortcut.

The shortcut mutes the clip.

• edited September 2019

A special usecase here, sequencing Nanostudio from outside with a lot of tracks armed.
    To record MIDI in a loop on a single track, it would be cool to have the option of selecting only one, the actual (highlighted) track, to be recording, while others would continue to be active/playing.
    (The workaround now is to delete all those surplus clips recorded.)
    please -> MIDI Solo Record ;)

• To record MIDI in a loop on a single track, it would be cool to have the option of selecting only one, the actual (highlighted) track, to be recording, while others would continue to be active/playing.

Not sure that i understand correctly, but this is actually how it works in NS by default isn't it ? By default just selected channel receives MIDI from selected MIDI input channel..

• edited September 2019

Yes, @dendy sure, in this case, however, it's precisely about having all tracks receiving notes from outside.
    The thing is: recording only one selected track of the whole bunch of active tracks, (while it certainly should be this way, for recording the all-out performance).
    Solo-ing a track results in a dilemma, for all tracks need to be armed and get recorded, naturally. Therefore the suggestion of a Solo-Record option, to being able to set a loop and to record a MIDI clip only on that track with the orchestra playing on so-to-say.

The aim is to single out a track for recording and then letting a MIDI sequence play as a loop.
    (Again, mind, either with or without something playing in the clips/on the timeline.)
    Nanostudio as multitimbral/multitrack recorder/player for collecting ideas (and later arranging).

Thanks for the extra-thought.

• edited September 2019

aah understand... now it makes sense, yeah for this use case recording arm for midi would be very handy... probably create for this separate task in requests section, this is good idea

• @Stiksi said:

@Will said:
    For live use, you could consolidate your MIDI clips into a single clip and then use the "select clip and double tap properties" shortcut.

Isn't that what the OP is looking for? Mute the clip but keep any audio tails from mixer effects? I guess that doesn't cover release tails though.

• edited September 2019

__> @Will said:

@Stiksi said:

@Will said:

Isn't that what the OP is looking for? Mute the clip but keep any audio tails from mixer effects? I guess that doesn't cover release tails though.

OP here. I just tried it and it does indeed work. It’s a decent workaround. Ideally I’d prefer a single-click method to mute a track’s midi, similar to the track mute buttons that already exist, and even better it they could be mapped to hardware controllers, but I’ll take what I can get.

If nothing else, this shows that mechanisms for muting midi are already in place in NS2...if there was a “mute track content only” option and it worked exactly like muting a midi clip, that would be perfect 🙂👍

• @Will said:

@Stiksi said:

@Will said:

Yes, I was just completing what you said, you didn’t mention what the shortcut actually does in your post 🙂

• @Stiksi said:

@Will said:

@Stiksi said:

@Will said:

Yes, I was just completing what you said, you didn’t mention what the shortcut actually does in your post 🙂

Aha! Good point. Clever fellow.

@Shabudua said:
    OP here. I just tried it and it does indeed work. It’s a decent workaround. Ideally I’d prefer a single-click method to mute a track’s midi, similar to the track mute buttons that already exist, and even better it they could be mapped to hardware controllers, but I’ll take what I can get.

If nothing else, this shows that mechanisms for muting midi are already in place in NS2...if there was a “mute track content only” option and it worked exactly like muting a midi clip, that would be perfect 🙂👍

Yep, for sure, a proper MIDI MUTE is the goal. Glad the workaround at least kinda works for now.

• Another option might be to code something in Bram Bos' Mozaic using the global variables in a "master" track to control "slave" tracks. I've done that sort of thing as a workaround for global non-destructive swing, for example. Just note that it's notes only for midi FX in NS for now, cc's bypass them.

In this case, the slave would block midi note on messages to mute the track.

Once control messages are supported you'll be able to get really fancy with your own custom UIs for live mixing within NS2 :smile:

There's quite a lot of pretty clever coding happening in Mozaic (on https://patchstorage.com/platform/mozaic/) if you haven't seen it already... but I am a bit of a sucker for making musical machinery :s