NS2 is now universal - use it on iPhones and iPods!

After leaking some blood, sweat and tears and the occasional profanity over the 5 different screen sizes I'm pleased to announce that NS2 v2.1 will be available in the App Store within the next few hours.

The NS2 v2.1 update will work on any iPad, iPhone or iPod which supports iOS 11 or later. In the case of the iPhone, this means the 5S or later. In my opinion the iPhone 6/7/8 (and their Plus models) probably provide the best experience. The iPhone 5S is a little small (but still useable) and the iPhone X/11 are a little skinny. It's a bit like the three bears.

This update's mainly about introducing iPhone support, but I have also had a chance to improve the sustain pedal behaviour, increase Obsidian's polyphony from 16 to 32 voices and tidy up various other things.

iOS 13 broke the Bluetooth MIDI pairing dialogue - that's now fixed.

There's also a new Mixdown setting to workaround an issue with AUs which are silent on mixdown (because they are still busy loading their resources). I tried to solve it properly but got nowhere and I don't believe the mechanism's there for the host to know when the AU's ready. The workaround gets the job done by just waiting for a fixed length of time. Clever eh?

I've been enjoying everyone's tracks on the songs thread, thanks y'all for using NanoStudio!

Matt

NOTE: For anyone wondering how to transfer projects between iPad and iPhone, I recommend AirDrop or Email:

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/IntegrationAndSharing.html#airdrop

Comments

• edited October 2019

Amongst other things, it’s nice to just see you post here Matt. Was wondering where you were (forum wise).

And yes, when I read about the “AU mixdown time wait” I thought “that’s a good idea/workaround”.

Bless

King

• Thank you, Matt!

• Another great milestone reached!!!
    👍🏻👍🏻

• Excellent work, Matt!!! Now I have no excuse to make music anywhere I’m sitting :trollface:

• Yeah my apologies, I've been off the radar for a while. The level of income from NS2 has meant that I've been able to justify spending about half my time on it, and the half I do spend on it has all gone into coding.

I'm aware of the two main factions: iPhones and Audio Tracks. I went for the phone because I'd already done a fair amount of the work and out of the two I felt it had the best chance of funding future updates. I'll have to see how that decision plays out ...

• edited October 2019

@Blip Interactive said:
    Yeah my apologies, I've been off the radar for a while...

It’s all good man! As long as your on it! (= NS2).

Yes, got to raise that cash! Survival is the game!

King

(FYI: but most everyday, I do check for NS2 updates. Nice to see one, even if it’s not the one I’m looking for exactly)

Added: download the iPhone version a few mins ago, will be checking it out..

Cheers for this (only just updated my iPhone in August to an SE. Always had iPhone 4 - I like the size(s).. ).

• Is it a separate purchase to use in on iPhone? App Store is saying £23.99 even though I have it on iPad

Cheers

• edited October 2019

@TwistedGenetics said:
    Is it a separate purchase to use in on iPhone? App Store is saying £23.99 even though I have it on iPad

Cheers

Not! a separate purchase!

Just go through all the steps to purchase, and it will let you know you own it at the very end!

King

• @TwistedGenetics said:
    Is it a separate purchase to use in on iPhone? App Store is saying £23.99 even though I have it on iPad

Cheers

no, it's free update.. thats appstore glitch... just tap purchase, it will not charge you, instead of this popup will appear ;)

• edited October 2019

Yep, jus as I tapped ok on the popup, ‘earlier’ - I thought “I should have screen grabbed that, may come in handy”

Alls well that ends well!

Free update, for a great, app!
    King

• Thanks Dendy for confirming - going to be so useful as a sketch pad.

Thanks Matt 😎

• @King said:

@TwistedGenetics said:

Cheers

Just go through all the steps to purchase, and it will let you know you own it at the very end!

King

Thanks King as well 😎

• @TwistedGenetics said:

@King said:

@TwistedGenetics said:

Cheers

King

Thanks King as well 😎

Your Welcome! ✌🏼

King

• edited October 2019

incredible work, Matt!

I'll spread the word to all my iphone-only music buddies. Now if only Apple would fix the search optimization in their store. I tried "Nanostudio" and the pale competition comes up - unless you include the "2". That's insane.
    Doesn't come up when you search "DAW" either! :(

I don't know how these things work, but I imagine there's a lot more money to be made if people can find the thing you've made. It certainly deserves to be at the top of the heap! It really gets my goat when crummy apps like Auxy are the first to pop up.. I guess that's what happens when a business puts all the focus on advertising.

• I thought I was going to be allowed to purchase the iPhone version until the very end when it wouldn’t let me pay for it. Had to get the free upgrade.... Damn. Can’t manage to donate money to the cause to save my life.

• @SlapHappy said:
    I thought I was going to be allowed to purchase the iPhone version until the very end when it wouldn’t let me pay for it. Had to get the free upgrade.... Damn. Can’t manage to donate money to the cause to save my life.

Seems like a lot of people don’t realize you have to sign in before the App Store can know that you’ve already purchased something.

• I tried "Nanostudio" and the pale competition comes up - unless you include the "2". That's insane.

Doesn't come up when you search "DAW" either!

Yes it's crap, I don't think you could make that bad deliberately. The ultimate insult - you get a fart app about 5th in the list. DAW is definitely in the search terms although I avoid using it in the store description otherwise I'd have the audio track faction on my back!

• @Blip Interactive said:

I tried "Nanostudio" and the pale competition comes up - unless you include the "2". That's insane.

Doesn't come up when you search "DAW" either!

Yes it's crap, I don't think you could make that bad deliberately. The ultimate insult - you get a fart app about 5th in the list. DAW is definitely in the search terms although I avoid using it in the store description otherwise I'd have the audio track faction on my back!

lol, yeah. I wouldn't worry about adhering to any strict definition of DAW, though. Gadget and Audiobus sit near the top, and they don't have audio tracks.

• Sweetness!

• Ok, I think we can now reveal the specific time of the iPhone release 😀

• Excellent work Matt! Just downloaded to my phone and loving it! 👍💞🎧

• I almost don’t use my iPhone for music apps, but I must admit that the UI/UX is really impressive. I strongly believe there’s nothing even close to it on the iPhone, excellent job.

• Just a reminder to all to update your reviews! B)
    When I went to the App Store on my phone, it was as if I hadn’t reviewed the app yet, though I had reviewed and updated the iPad version.

• Thanks you Matt to have the iPhone version as well with the iPad version is the icing on the cake and makes all the difference long live nanostudio 2 now let’s continue to build some tracks on the move great stuff I’m so happy. Thanks to you and all the hard work you are doing to keep us all satisfied simply the best. Lostroom vibes😈❤️🙏

• Hey Matt!!!! Thanks for the iPhone update!!!! I push Nano a lot once you do finally add audio tracks my heaviest push will begin I already call it the “Logic” of iOS.... When entire songs can be complete it will be the best DAW and my only daw period.... Where can we go to donate to help this process and the future of Nano?

• edited October 2019

@PUMP said:
    Where can we go to donate to help this process and the future of Nano?

This is actually great question. Matt is still refusing to try kickstarter, patreon or even simple paypal donate button.

But there is one very good way - you can gift Nanostudio to somebody !! This way Matt gets some $ and other person gets NS and in idesl case it will spread good word anout NS ;) Which os good thing too.. it's win-win :)

• Thanks Matt, good to hear (read) from you!

• @Blip Interactive said:
    Yeah my apologies, I've been off the radar for a while. The level of income from NS2 has meant that I've been able to justify spending about half my time on it, and the half I do spend on it has all gone into coding.

I really hope you’re spending the other half of your time finishing off ‘Happy Unicorns’ not wasting it earning money or something!!!

• edited October 2019

Hello. What an interesting new development. We have a comment about it:

AAAAAAAAAAAaAAAAAAaAAAAAAhHHHHHHHhHHhHHHhHHHhHhHhJjHjHHhhHHhH🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴😱😱😨😨😨😨😨😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😨😱🥖🥖🥖🥖🥖🌯🌮🌮🌮🥐🥐🥐🥐🍬🧁🧁🧁🧁🍬🥧🍫🍫🧁🍰🧁🥧🍬🌰🍰🍰🍡🧁🎽🥌⛷🤼‍♀️🤼‍♀️🤼‍♂️⛷⛳️🎽🎷🎺🎸🎹🎭🎧🎺🎯🎮🎭🎧🎺🎭🎹🎼🚉🛫🛬💺🚞🛰🚀🚡🚖⛵️🚞🚂⛵️🚞⛵️🚤🚀🚋🚞💒💒⛪️🏚⛪️🗻🏕🏛📺☎️📟🖲📟🖲🎞📞📀📻🏺🔮💳🚬⚰️💰💰⚗️🔨💈🧱🔮🔨🛒📦🖼🏷💌🛍🏷📦🛒📝📰🖋📰✏️📘🔗🔏🔏✡️🆔♑️☸️🉑🈲🚱🈺🔞🈺㊙️🔞🈴🚱🚷🈲㊙️🚹🛂💹🚼🚻🈁🎦🔤♿️↖️↖️⏯↪️⏯↔️⤵️🔄🔽🔷⚫️◼️⚪️◻️⚫️⬜️🔔🔔⚫️🔕⚪️🕠🕓🕦🕧🕒

In conclusion: Thanks, Matt.

This discussion has been closed.