FR - enable playing notes when Midi FX are engaged

As soon as a midi FX is enabled on a track, it’s no longer possible to play pads or the keyboard. The ability to jam over something playing from a midi FX app is something useful and needed. I hope making this possible will be considered when designing the changes needed to enable recording of midi FX output.

Of course it’s possible to work around by adding a duplicate channel, but that’s not very practical if tweeking parameters, and for mixing purposes.

Comments

• It depends on the AU. Sounds like it's not handling MIDI thru properly. What AU are you using?

• I’ve only tried Rozeta XOX and Rozeta Bass Line so far.

• These are really “generators” rather than FX. They can be controlled by midi sent to them and aren’t intended to affect midi passing through them.

For instance, you can send midi notes to change internal patterns in XOX. You woudn’t want those notes passed through.

• I just tried StepPolyArp Unit, and have the opposite problem. I expected the Obsidian keyboard to trigger the arp, then the arp to trigger Obsidian. All I’m getting is the keys I play in Obsidian.

Maybe I’m just not getting how this is supposed to work.

• edited December 2018

AU midi had such potential when it first hit the stores. Then somewhere
    along the lines it all went pear shaped :s

• edited December 2018

Nah. It’s like a kid. They have great potential, they aren’t born knowing how to walk. And parents are’t born knowing how to raise them.

Oh. But then kids become teenagers. Nevermind. Bad analogy.

• @number37 said:
    Nah. It’s like a kid. They have great potential, they aren’t born knowing how to walk. They get there. You just gotta be patient and watch them grow.

Oh. But then they become teenagers. Nevermind. Bad analogy.

If AU midi is in its teenage phase then I’m going to the pub....

• Nope still in the kid stage.

Better analogy. @Brambos pushed the chicks out of the nest. They’ll learn to fly or die trying.

• @number37 said:
    Nope still in the kid stage.

Better analogy. @Brambos pushed the chicks out of the nest. They’ll learn to fly or die trying.

I think Apple were guilty of the original push out of said nest...the poor chicks didn’t even have enough documentation paper to make a decent parachute!

• Anybody ever use Hammerhead? That app was so fun.

Blip Interactive, Bram Bos, Alexander Zolotov. All 3 of these guys are my favorite app devs on App Store.

Korg and Intua are great, too, but they are companies, not standalones.

• Midi au works great in AUM... dunno why ns2 and bm3 can’t utilise it to the same level.

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@number37 said:

I think Apple were guilty of the original push out of said nest...the poor chicks didn’t even have enough documentation paper to make a decent parachute!

Nope, they laid the egg. Bram Bos pushed it out of the nest by releasing the Rozeta suite.

• edited December 2018

@flockz said:
    Midi au works great in AUM... dunno why ns2 and bm3 can’t utilise it to the same level.

They will. Patience. BTW, add Auria Pro to the list of apps that don’t support it fully yet. Auria is really broke.

I believe Bram Bos and the AUM developer worked closely together during Rozeta’s (the first Midi FX) development . It’s understandable it would work well out of the box. Everyone else is still finding their way.

• @number37 said:

@flockz said:
    Midi au works great in AUM... dunno why ns2 and bm3 can’t utilise it to the same level.

They will. Patience. BTW, add Auria Pro to the list of apps that don’t support it fully yet. Auria is really broke.

I believe Bram Bos and the AUM developer worked closely together during Rozeta’s (the first Midi FX) development . It’s understandable it would work well out of the box. Everyone else is still finding their way.

The multiple routing flexibility in AUM is ideal. Desktop level. Not so good in host apps elsewhere :(

• @number37 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@number37 said:

Nope, they laid the egg. Bram boss pushed it out of the nest by releasing the Rozeta suite.

What came first....lol

• @number37 said:
    I believe Bram Bos and the AUM developer worked closely together during Rozeta’s (the first Midi FX) development .

This is true. Bram was interested and needed someone to take up the work on the host side for his plans to work at all!

• @kleptolia said:
    Anybody ever use Hammerhead? That app was so fun.

Blip Interactive, Bram Bos, Alexander Zolotov. All 3 of these guys are my favorite app devs on App Store.

And Jim Pavloff !!!

• @dendy said:

@kleptolia said:
    Anybody ever use Hammerhead? That app was so fun.

And Jim Pavloff !!!

I’ve never owned any of his apps. I’ll have to check out Poison or Groove rider.

• inhad Korg Electribe 2 and Jim's reincarnation of this groovebox is sooo much better in every aspect ! Great box, lots of fun !

• edited December 2018

I found a workaround. B)

Create a “no instrument” child track and load the AU midi effect on that track instead. Set this track to send midi to parent. Now you can play the parent at the same time as the AU midi.

• @number37

What awesome workaround !!! Just wow !!

:open_mouth::open_mouth:

• I was hoping it would record the midi on the parent track, but no joy.

• edited December 2018

no, this needs to be solve by Matt, definitely not doable via any workaround inside NS, its about how output from midiFX is routed in whole app midi flow graph ...