Houston, we have a problem... maybe

I had an issue with projects not loading and a few other weird things happening. To make a long story short, ultimately it looked like I had a corrupt project that was interfering with other projects loading into the Projects folder.

All projects were in the NS2 folder in the Files app but they weren’t all loading into NS2. All FX in the project were NS effects except FAC Bandit and DAW Cassette. I removed DAW Cassette and everything immediately went back to normal 100%.

I made a new project with DAW Cassette in it and so far it is working fine. If I run into any further issues I’ll let you know.

Comments

• Ok, thanks! If you have a project that’s misbehaving, you can always send me a link to it or whatever works best for you and I’ll make sure Matt gets the project.

• @Stiksi said:
    Ok, thanks! If you have a project that’s misbehaving, you can always send me a link to it or whatever works best for you and I’ll make sure Matt gets the project.

So far no further problems. I even put DAW Cassette back into the original project and, so far, it’s working. It seemed like it was hanging on DAW Cassette when it was loading because it would show DAW Cassette in the loading screen and then the project would open. Now it shows DAW Cassette loading and then FAC Bandit loading like it normally would. Thanks!

• edited October 2019

any chance you're still on iOS12 ? I experienced this with IFX AU plugin ., after i updated to iOS 13 problem disappeared..

how exactly it was not poosible to load projects ? Any chance it was that after you started NS, it autoloaded that Casette project, and then when you tried to load other project it freezed with load popup displkayed ?

• edited October 2019

@dendy said:
    any chance you're still on iOS12 ? I experienced this with IFX AU plugin ., after i updated to iOS 13 problem disappeared..

how exactly it was not poosible to load projects ? Any chance it was that after you started NS, it autoloaded that Casette project, and then when you tried to load other project it freezed with load popup displkayed ?

Forgot to mention, I am on 12.4.2 on iPad Air 1 so no 13 for me until maybe Xmas!

The DAW Cassette project would auto-load as expected. I noticed that while it was loading, the loading screen would show DAW Cassette loading and then it would go directly to the project timeline. If it was working properly, it would also have shown FAC Bandit loading before going to timeline but it didn’t do that.

When I switched over to Files view (to be clear, in NS2 not the Apple Files app) under Projects, the Project Info screen was showing a progress wheel where the Project Image normally appears. It never showed a Project Image there, just a progress wheel.

If I tried to load a project, most of the projects were missing in My Projects and there was a progress wheel in the upper right corner. I then checked the Apple Files app and all of my projects were there in the NS2 folder fortunately. Nothing ever really froze. It was just weird things happening like the Project Image not loading and the Project files missing.

It occurred to me the issue might be one of the AU FX so I first deleted DAW Cassette out of the project and everything immediately went back to normal. I even loaded DAW Cassette back into a copy of the same project and it is now working properly. If I load DC into the original project it does the same thing. I’ll upload a link to the original project without DAW Cassette and you can try adding DC to it if you have it and see what happens.

So it was a weird glitch and I haven’t been able to replicate it but I figured I’d throw it out there in case any one else got hung up in a similar way.

• @dendy @Stiksi

Project archive without DAW Cassette. Works fine. Add DAW Cassette where indicated in screenshot and not working properly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqydnyuywg56y4u/LoopTest.nsa?dl=0

• @dendy @Stiksi

So now the copy of the project is doing the same thing. It was fine but now the same symptoms are happening in the copy. If I remove DAW Cassette everything works fine.

• thanks for analyse and screenshots... this looks really weird..

• @dendy said:
    thanks for analyse and screenshots... this looks really weird..

FYI - DAW Cassette never gave me any problems until recent NS2 update. Usually if an AU gives me any problems I just don’t use it.

• edited October 2019

one more question - what shows CPU load meter in NS when it is broken ? Any unusual values (like 100% all the time) ?

cannot reproduce it neither on iPhone nor on iPad.. both iOS13.. works totally smooth (which doesn't surprise me, regarding VU plugins iOS13 is a much much better, plugins are lot more stable, i cannot crash even Audio Damage plugins which is unbelievable lol)

would be good to found somebody with iOS12 to co firm it is OS related issue...

can you try if it works correctly in other daw, for example AUM, cubasis, or bm3 ? i mean if there are any kind of issues..

also try change buffer size in NS - just to check if this isn't speciffic just for some particular buffer size..

and last thing - try delete and reinstall daw casette...

thanks for all analytic information ;-)

• @dendy said:
    one more question - what shows CPU load meter in NS when it is broken ? Any unusual values (like 100% all the time) ?

cannot reproduce it neither on iPhone nor on iPad.. both iOS13.. works totally smooth (which doesn't surprise me, regarding VU plugins iOS13 is a much much better, plugins are lot more stable, i cannot crash even Audio Damage plugins which is unbelievable lol)

would be good to found somebody with iOS12 to co firm it is OS related issue...

can you try if it works correctly in other daw, for example AUM, cubasis, or bm3 ? i mean if there are any kind of issues..

also try change buffer size in NS - just to check if this isn't speciffic just for some particular buffer size..

and last thing - try delete and reinstall daw casette...

thanks for all analytic information ;-)

Deleted and re-installed. CPU is normal. Changing buffer makes no difference. Works correctly in AUM. Works correctly in NS2 new test projects so far. That particular project or copies of it have the problem. I’m going to let it go for now. Not mission critical. I expect to be getting a new iPad by end of year so everything will be perfect after that! 😉 Thanks @dendy Keep up the good work!!

PS - Audio Damage 😆😆😆! They make great stuff but sometimes...