Just got the app. Have some questions.

Pulled the trigger on the app this week. Liking it so far. I have a few questions that I may have missed in the manual.

1. How can I automate actual instrument parameters in the playlist? I can see some of them but not all.
  2. Can I automate AU parameters or only stock synths/plugins?
  3. Is there an easy way to batch import samples for Slate? In both BM3 and Patterning 2 you can import multiple samples at once.

I'm sure I'll find more questions as I go through it.

Comments

• edited October 2019

@slicetwo said:
    Pulled the trigger on the app this week. Liking it so far. I have a few questions that I may have missed in the manual.

1. How can I automate actual instrument parameters in the playlist? I can see some of them but not all.

What you are seeing in the part editor as automatable instrument parametres are the performance controls of Obsidian or an AU instrument. These can be found on the instrument by tapping the keyboard icon on the left. On the performance page, you can bind Obsidian parametres to performance controls to automate them. Check out this in the manual https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Obsidian.html#macro-tools

Assign the controls by pressing ”edit dest” in the hamburger menu.

1. Can I automate AU parameters or only stock synths/plugins?

You can assign AU instrument parametres to performance controls just like on Obsidian, then you can automate the performance controls.

1. Is there an easy way to batch import samples for Slate? In both BM3 and Patterning 2 you can import multiple samples at once.

The easiest way to import samples from a computer is to use WebDAV. Scroll down a bit on this page to find instructions. The webdav setting is in the Settings menu.

• @Stiksi said:

@slicetwo said:

The easiest way to import samples from a computer is to use WebDAV. Scroll down a bit on this page to find instructions. The webdav setting is in the Settings menu.

Thanks! For the importing, I already have gigs of samples on my iPad. Can I batch import directly from AudioShare or Files?

• edited October 2019

@slicetwo said:
    Thanks! For the importing, I already have gigs of samples on my iPad. Can I batch import directly from AudioShare or Files?

In this case most easy way is simply copy them using Apple Files app. Nanostudio document folder is visible in "On My iPad" section .. so just copy samples from any other app into "onMyIpad > Nanostudio 2 > Library > Audio" .. you can copy them including subdirectories .. after that they all will be accessible from Slate or Obsidian sample browsers ..

Can I automate AU parameters or only stock synths/plugins?

@Stiksi said: You can assign AU instrument parametres to performance controls just like on Obsidian, then you can automate the performance controls.

I will just add, that currently you can automate just AU instruments, not AU effects (but it's on todo list). Of course, you can automate most of build-in FX parameters ..

• @dendy said:

In this case most easy way is simply copy them using Apple Files app. Nanostudio document folder is visible in "On My iPad" section .. so just copy samples from any other app into "onMyIpad > Nanostudio 2 > Library > Audio" .. you can copy them including subdirectories .. after that they all will be accessible from Slate or Obsidian sample browsers ..

Thanks!

• Another question, does the piano roll offer the ability to show notes in a particular scale?

• @slicetwo said:
    Another question, does the piano roll offer the ability to show notes in a particular scale?

No, but the Obsidian / AU instrument keyboard does.

• @Stiksi said:

@slicetwo said:
    Another question, does the piano roll offer the ability to show notes in a particular scale?

No, but the Obsidian / AU instrument keyboard does.

Ok. Hopefully an update will add this?

• It is very possible, and we’ve definitely discussed it at length on the forum and with Matt (Nanostudio’s developer), but it’s probably not in the immediate future.

• @Stiksi said:
    It is very possible, and we’ve definitely discussed it at length on the forum and with Matt (Nanostudio’s developer), but it’s probably not in the immediate future.

Good enough for me! Guess I should finally learn my scales. Haha.

• @slicetwo said:

@Stiksi said:
    It is very possible, and we’ve definitely discussed it at length on the forum and with Matt (Nanostudio’s developer), but it’s probably not in the immediate future.

Good enough for me! Guess I should finally learn my scales. Haha.

you don't need :) As @stiksi said, they ate here

I use small trick :-) After i enable scale, i record all notes in scale, then input them at the end of clip where they are not playing snd i use them as guideline fir real played notes :))

• @dendy Most excellent. That will help with at least playing stuff in. Also, it seems that in order for NS2 to see my AudioShare library, I need to duplicate the samples, therefore taking up twice the space, yes? Thanks so much for all the help!

• @slicetwo
    I need to duplicate the samples, therefore taking up twice the space, yes?

unfortunately yes, that's disadvantage of iOS... my strategy is to choose "main" app (which is obviously Nanostudio in my case) - i'm holding most of my samples i this app,and i copy into other apps just samples which i need i some moment..

• @dendy Fair enough. I have 128gb unit so at least I can spare it for now.

• edited October 2019

I’ve read on multiple occasions that in iOS although copied files show in more than one place, they’re only physically stored once, unless one of the copies is modified. I’ve read a few posts casting doubt on that. I can’t say for sure. But you may not actually be doubling the storage taken up.

• @number37

interesting, this makes a sense because of one thing.. If you try copy large amount of files from one app to other app, it's too fast.. Which would be unlilely if files would be physically copied..

Just tried to copy my 3GB big sample library from NS to AudioShare. Three times. Settings > iPad storage still shows same amount of free space on my storage...

At the end, iOS is "just" UNIX clone, and files symlinks are in unix common pr

• edited October 2019

definitely confirmed

I have approx 8 GB free space on my iPhone. So i created 1.6 GB big file, then i made 10 copies of that file in Files app - free space was still 6.4 GB .. rhen i opened one of those files, edited it and saved - and now free space is just 4.8 GB

So definitely apple is just creating symlinks when files are copied, and until you don't change file it stays just ad simlink (which means it takes close to zero bytes ;)

That is really great !

• @dendy said:
    definitely confirmed

I have approx 8 GB free space on my iPhone. So i created 1.6 GB big file, then i made 10 copies of that file in Files app - free space was still 6.4 GB .. rhen i opened one of those files, edited it and saved - and now free space is just 4.8 GB

So definitely apple is just creating symlinks when files are copied, and until you don't change file it stays just ad simlink (which means it takes close to zero bytes ;)

That is really great !

OSX uses symlinks. It’s very helpful with video files which can be in the GB’s.

• yeah i know that - i'm very much unix/linux positive so i'm enjoying fact that MacOS is basically unix with fancy UI :-))

Just didn't know till yet thst iOS uses symlimks as default way of 'copying' files.. That's smart !

• It also means it would be trivial for them to fully integrate external storage. If they wanted. Which they don’t.

• @number37 said:
    Which they don’t.

this!