Lee B - Melody of Life

edited November 2019 in Creations

I’ve had this one knocking around for ages and finally got round to finishing it.
All Nanostudio!

Comments

• edited November 2019

really like what you're doing with bass melodically, especially that break melodic change.. whole track has very jazzy playful vibe :+1::+1: love harmonic change around 1 minute !

little criticism goes to kick - it is missing most important part of body - around 100hz, and on other side it has too much around 40hz at the end of tail.. i think this can cause troubles on big PA .. on many systems this frequency is not much audible but adds mud to whole mix ... you can clearly see it on EQ-3B spectrum analyser...

not sure if this is possible to fix just by EQ - maybe combination of EQ and transposing kick up few semtones to move this 40hz tail up to area 80-100hz ?? dunno... maybe better would be to search for different kick ? Or layer it with something which will add body in 100hz area and then filter out stuff bellow 40 hz with sharp hp filter (such low frequency is not good for kick at all, it can make just troubles)

but that's just kick - rest of track is great !

• edited November 2019

interesting observation (this has nothing to do directly with your track ;)) :

when i'm listening track from my macbook pro (connected via USB to Xenyx Q802 mixer with usb audio interface) - i hear significantly less of bottom bass spectrum than if i'm listening it from iPad, which is docked in Alesis iTrack Dock, so audio goes just by audio cables into same mix (in both cases listening on Eris E8 monitors) .. that difference is really big, looks like iTrack dock has much better DA converters than Xenyx ! Would never expext such big difference in bass spectrum just because of DA converters :open_mouth:

• @dendy said:
    really like what you're doing with bass melodically, especially that break melodic change.. whole track has very jazzy playful vibe :+1::+1: love harmonic change around 1 minute !

little criticism goes to kick - it is missing most important part of body - around 100hz, and on other side it has too much around 40hz at the end of tail.. i think this can cause troubles on big PA .. on many systems this frequency is not much audible but adds mud to whole mix ... you can clearly see it on EQ-3B spectrum analyser...

not sure if this is possible to fix just by EQ - maybe combination of EQ and transposing kick up few semtones to move this 40hz tail up to area 80-100hz ?? dunno... maybe better would be to search for different kick ? Or layer it with something which will add body in 100hz area and then filter out stuff bellow 40 hz with sharp hp filter (such low frequency is not good for kick at all, it can make just troubles)

but that's just kick - rest of track is great !

That’s very constructive criticism! Very useful info 👍🏻

• @LeeB :/ link doesn’t work for me:(

• Thanks @dendy
    You’re no doubt right about the kick. I wasn’t really happy with it, but haven’t listened to the track on anything other than Apple earbuds so it didn’t show up that bad.
    I was being lazy and I just wanted to get something out there 😬.
    I’ll have a mess with it later 👍🏼

• @Cray23 said:
    @LeeB :/ link doesn’t work for me:(

That’s odd. Not sure why 🤷🏼‍♂️

• @dendy just took a screenshot of my kick channel e.q. You can see I had already done some drastic e.q on the bottom end, but it still got through

I just need to not be lazy and A/B my mixes

• @LeeB said:

@Cray23 said:

I assumed you took it off to edit it.

• @nu2moro said:

@LeeB said:

@Cray23 said:

Is it not working for you either?

• @LeeB said:

@nu2moro said:

@LeeB said:

@Cray23 said:

Not as of yet?

• @nu2moro said:

@LeeB said:

@nu2moro said:

@LeeB said:

@Cray23 said:

Not as of yet?

I’ll add another link. Hopefully it’ll work 🤞🏼

• @LeeB said:
    @dendy just took a screenshot of my kick channel e.q. You can see I had already done some drastic e.q on the bottom end, but it still got through

i see there is still missing punch around 100 ... your kick had "dot" (starting transient around 450hz, big body in last third part of it's time (which you now filtered out) but it is lacking punch around 100
    which is usually major a source of kick's energy

if you want send me project file and i'll try something with that kick...

• edited November 2019

@dendy said:

@LeeB said:
    @dendy just took a screenshot of my kick channel e.q. You can see I had already done some drastic e.q on the bottom end, but it still got through

i see there is still missing punch around 100 ... your kick had "dot" (starting transient around 450hz, big body in last third part of it's time (which you now filtered out) but it is lacking punch around 100
    which is usually major a source of kick's energy

if you want send me project file and i'll try something with that kick...

That pic of the e.q is how it was. I haven’t changed anything. I was just showing that even when you think you’ve taken enough bottom out, it can still be a problem. It’s down to me using shitty headphones and not checking it out on other systems.
    It probably needs a different kick as you say and possibly shortening.
    Anyway, here is the project if you are interested 😉
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aIyYtuLS96_OyYtWuCakwXM3AsqCkcaN/view?usp=drivesdk

Thank you

• cool, will check it later evening ;)

That pic of the e.q is how it was. I haven’t changed anything

aaah ok :)

• Added a new link to the new version above.
    Much happier with it now!
    Thanks @dendy for The fresh ears and the quick kik fix 👍🏼

• :+1: you're welcome ;)

• Nice track! 👍🏻😁
    Sounds good through the Apple headphones!

• Nice to see collaboration :)

• @nu2moro said:
    Nice track! 👍🏻😁
    Sounds good through the Apple headphones!

Thank you

@Trigger_the_Monkey said:
    Nice to see collaboration :)

Absolutely

• @LeeB That’s great! 👏🏼

• @anickt said:
    @LeeB That’s great! 👏🏼

Cheers mate 😊

• @LeeB said:

@Cray23 said:

Its working now!;) as usual, your work is so deep and full of air. Amazing melody progression, just proper professional production feel all over ;) out of curiosity, did you took any audio courses? Big up!