An Advent release for charity.... With NS1

Back in February 2018 my daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor and has since had surgery, radio and chemo therapy. I thought that for Advent this year I would try to raise awareness and money for the Brain Tumour Charity by releasing various tracks of mine, one a day for Advent. As it happens this first one is 100% Nanostudio 1.

Adventus 1 : Pròxima Estació (Barcelona 2015)

Composed during a holiday to Barcelona in 2015 and incorporates a number of recordings I made of the city's metro system, along with some sound effects recorded within the amazing Sagrada Familia.

Comments

• And since day 2 is also a NS1 track I shall post it here as well (from memory I think on 1 or 2 more were done in NS1 - the rest are AUM based).

Adventus 2 : Watching Aeolian Processes (Côte des Landes July 2015) [extract]

(90 second extract)

Jan

• edited December 2019

Nice tracks, they are emotive even without knowing story behind, and with that story, powerful !

Purchased to support it, hope more people will do the same. You should post it also to AB forums.. hope your daughter feels well now !

• Thank you. It's been a difficult year or so for us all. My daughter has completed her treatments and has returned to Uni for her final year (doing it over 2 years). There are loads of amazing groups and charities that have supported her (and us) - but it's still really tough.

• I can only imagine how tough that would be! I’m glad you’re finding the strength to stay creative in the middle of it, these are lovely.

• @stiksi: well technically these 2 posted (and the next few) are all "pre Tumour" when things were easier and better. Anything after February 2018 is when things got a lot harder. And yes at first being creative was just too hard, but once we got used to the new "normal" finding creative things were a bit of an outlet. I had collated all those jams i made in that period into an album, but I decided not to release that one (although 2 tracks are included on this Adventus idea). Sadly no NS1 used on those :-)

• First of all these are some sweet tracks. Nicely done!
    Secondly, I’m sorry to hear about your daughter’s struggle, but I am glad to hear that she is recovering. That is encouraging. Still, must be super hard thing to endure. Wish you and your family all the best!

• I'm still plugging away with this. As it happens today's is also a NS1 track. This time from the flight back from Lisbon last year.

Jan

• Nice track! Are these newly composed tracks, or tracks you composed pre-NS2? NS1 is a great app, but I don’t know how many people are still using it. Just curious

• @slaphappy: that's a good question. All these are 'historic' tracks made pre NS2. They are also in date order (i.e. track 1 is 2015 and track 23 is 2019 - track 24 is an older one and as it happens a NS1 one). I have to confess that I haven't really clicked with NS2 - I stayed with NS1 on my iPad until January-ish, and only moved my iPod touch to iOS12 when NS2 was made universal a couple of months back. I do however have an iPad1 that runs NS1 that I have used pretty recently for something new (not included here).

Most of these Adventus tracks are using AUM with 3 synths, some looped field recordings, and sometimes whatever is captured on the internal mic when I recorded it (plus a controller or 2). Usually 2 or 3 takes, straight to stereo, then my favourite is 'polished' in Final touch and ends up being the finished piece. Obviously the NS1 ones are more sequenced and worked out.

One of my semi-abandoned albums (called 'ventus' after the scifi book of the same name by Karl Schroeder) was a mixture of tracks done with various tools - some in NS1, others in NS2, or Ableton, or iPad with AUM, or even all the hardware stuff together. From memory I think NS2 actually had the most tracks.

• Well - all finished! The full version (for download and streaming in the usual fashion) is on Bandcamp. The last couple of tracks are also NS1 as it happens.

https://acollectionofnotes.bandcamp.com/album/adventus-free-download