recording automation and recording in track lanes and other nit-picks

1. I'm having issues recording automation. Specifically recording the automation of insert effects. The app provides no visual indication that automation has recorded either in the automation lanes or the effect. Seems unintuitive compared to competitor app Cubasis.

2. Track lanes need an arming function. When creating a track lane the app defaults to recording in the main track.

3. Please, keep the state of the mixer remembered. If I open the send effects window and go back to the sequencer or synth page, going back to the mixer page ought keep the send effects visible for tweaking.

This app has loads of potential in terms of sound design but very basic features seem to be overlooked, even one year after the release. As mentioned, NS2 has better sound design features than other DAWs but I can't seem to get into recording with it until more essential features get implemented. Although the community support is always amazing.

Comments

• edited December 2019

@LucidMusicInc said:
    1. I'm having issues recording automation. Specifically recording the automation of insert effects. The app provides no visual indication that automation has recorded either in the automation lanes or the effect. Seems unintuitive compared to competitor app Cubasis.

That indicator is in the mixer and the effect in question.

The track automation button reveals all track automation.

1. Track lanes need an arming function. When creating a track lane the app defaults to recording in the main track.

Zoom in my friend 🙂

1. Please, keep the state of the mixer remembered. If I open the send effects window and go back to the sequencer or synth page, going back to the mixer page ought keep the send effects visible for tweaking.

Yeah, sometimes I wish for this as well but I hope you’re already using the buttons on the mixer strips.

• When it comes to automation I’ll often do a quick, very rough automation just to get some keyframes on the track and then go in and tweak manually while playing back the section in question. I find it fun and easy to get accurate automations that way. One of my favorite things about NS2 is I can tweak just about anything without ever stopping playback.

• Ok, overlooked those RW buttons on the mixer. One thing I like about NS2 over Cubasis is the full screen mixer and of course the superior effects. Steinberg have some catching up to do... Please make a MacOS DAW that isn't hundreds and hundreds of dollars!

Found the Track Lane Arming which is awesome for recording drums.

Has the thought ever occurred to make an NS2 Live feature? Similar to Garageband, arrange the timeline into sections and Live Looping? The instrument overview section seems to be where the live looping belongs. Guess I'm rambling here but there's no debate, NS2 is the best sounding IOS DAW. I've got some downtempo track in the pipeline.

Thanks fam!

• edited December 2019

Has the thought ever occurred to make an NS2 Live feature?

Mueheh, as i already mentioned many times, it's my serious plan to start bothering Matt on daily basis with Live Session view after audio tracks milestone :)))

Which doesn't mean he will send me to hell with that, but. I can be VERY convincing :lol:

• @dendy said:

Has the thought ever occurred to make an NS2 Live feature?

Mueheh, as i already mentioned many times, it's my serious plan to start bothering Matt on daily basis with Live Session view after audio tracks milestone :)))

Which doesn't mean he will send me to hell with that, but. I can be VERY convincing :lol:

B)

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    This app has loads of potential in terms of sound design but very basic features seem to be overlooked, even one year after the release.

Thanks to the dev for pointing out these features. I had over looked them too. Seems a year later we are all still learning how great this app is.

• edited December 2019

@User_Error said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    This app has loads of potential in terms of sound design but very basic features seem to be overlooked, even one year after the release.

Thanks to the dev for pointing out these features. I had over looked them too. Seems a year later we are all still learning how great this app is.

I’m not quite the dev, that’s Matt’s territory, I’m just a lowly mod 😀 but you’re welcome!

• Oh! I thought it was a group of people on the dev team. My bad.
    Thanks though!

• @User_Error said:
    Oh! I thought it was a group of people on the dev team. My bad.
    Thanks though!

There’s Matt Borstel, who is Blip Interactive and then there’s a small group of us beta testers who are also moderators on this forum. We’re just volunteers but most of us have been NS addicts for close to 10 years. My profile pic shows the date I joined the previous forum and at least dendy and Will were already there.

• edited December 2019

Just barely, @Stiksi. Just barely.

• edited December 2019

@Will
    Tha, you greenhorn .. When you joined, i already had 2 tracks finished in NS1 :-))

Those two if i good remember
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/track/nanoverse
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/track/redmoon-storm

• @dendy said:
    @Will
    Tha, you greenhorn .. When you joined, i already had 2 tracks finished in NS1 :-))

Those two if i good remember
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/track/nanoverse
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/track/redmoon-storm

So, you were way slower in your youth then, I would have expected at least an album's worth in two months!

• Kinda of symmetrically pleasing that we were all two months apart.