Suggester MIDI into NS2?

Hi there. I want to use NS2 to set up some backing tracks for recording/playing other instruments to. I have no keyboard skills but know enough to choose the chord progressions I want. I had a few tries at setting up Suggester to fill out an initial structure of a track but I could not get the midi to route correctly into a track in NS2, despite trying various combinations of settings. Can anyone comment on whether this is possible and, if not, is there another way, e.g. a similar app that will do what I want?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• just enable MIDI OUT in suggestor (run it as standalone app) and choose "Nanostudio 2´ as midi putput... after that, when yout hit record in NS, all chords played in Suggestor will be recordsd to Nanostudio's selected track...

• Why not just export a MIDI file from Suggester and import into NS2?

• @anickt said:
    Why not just export a MIDI file from Suggester and import into NS2?

That's also way, but realtime recording is lot of fun :)

• @dendy said:

@anickt said:

I’m too old for real-time recording! 😂

• @anickt said:

@dendy said:

@anickt said:

I’m too old for real-time recording! 😂

Well, I’ve still got lead in my pencil, so… I guess I’ll just copy it by hand 🤔 also graphite would be much safer.

• Thanks for the comments, going to give this another try. Also the MIDI export/import is a route I had not thought of.

• edited December 2019

I gave the options a try. MIDI export/import works but feels a bit clunky. I got the direct MIDI routing working but cannot figure out how to synchronise play/record between the apps. I tried connecting the MIDI through Audiobus but AB does not show a record button for NS2 and record/playback did not sync between the apps. I also tried fully separate apps with Link enabled and I could get the MIDI data to pass and I think all bars except the first were in sync probably as I had to manually start both apps. Should I expect Link to set both apps off for me?

• edited December 2019

why you need to synchronize it ? just hit record in NS (with disabled song loop).. switch to suggester - set same BPM in suggester like it is in NS.. and hit play.. after you progression is recorded, go back to NS, open piano roll, double tap on empty area to select all recorded notes and move they to left (to beginning) ... and your progression is in sync..

• @dendy said:
    why you need to synchronize it ? just hit record in NS (with disabled song loop).. switch to suggester - set same BPM in suggester like it is in NS.. and hit play.. after you progression is recorded, go back to NS, open piano roll, double tap on empty area to select all recorded notes and move they to left (to beginning) ... and your progression is in sync..

I get it, it just feels like it should be easier. Ideally I’d like it set as an instrument within NS2 and just sequence up the chords in Suggester so they’re in-track and in time. For whatever reasons between NS2 and Suggester, or the AU standard, this isn’t how it works so I feel like I have several levels of workaround in place.

• Experiencing the no-audio problem with midi triggers in Midi FX mode. Suggester as AU instrument works fine. Suggester as midi fx song mode also is okay. Just midi trigger will not output any sound.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38670/nanostudio-2-suggester-midi-fx-triggers-no-sound

• Just to keep informed in case somebody would struggle with same issue - looks there is bug... if suggester is used as MIDIfx, then:

• in case track instrument is Obsidian, it plays notes triggered by hand from Suggester
    • in case track instrument is AU plugin, in doesn't play notes triggered by hand from Suggester