Recommendations for 2nd hand ipads that will run NS2.

Hi

Could anyone give me some suggestions as what I-pads will run NS2 well?

I'm looking for recommendations for a 2nd hand purchase and one that is the best compromise of price and performance.

Thanks

Marc

Comments

• I’m not really sure what the market looks like these days but I can tell you that my main machine is an Air 1 and NS runs like butter on it. FWIW, I don’t use AU instruments all that much though.

• I'm using an Air 1 with no issues. Some AU's may be problematic but I'm finding I can do a lot of what I want to with Obsidian anyway and the AU's I have used have pretty much been OK. @brambos apps all work fine for me. I'm squeaking by with 16GB and finding that is more of a limitation than anything. If I had 32GB I'd be fine.

• I would personally recommend an Air 2 as a minimum, but if you can stretch to a more recent iPad, especially the 2018 iPad or even any generation of Pro then the experience will be much better.

Best bang for the buck by far IMO is the 2018 iPad. Runs as good as a 2nd generation Pro and is much much cheaper.

FWIW I recently switched from an Air 2 to a 10.5 Pro and the difference in performance is huge. The extra power makes a big difference if you are using external plugins.

• @richardyot said:
    I would personally recommend an Air 2 as a minimum, but if you can stretch to a more recent iPad, especially the 2018 iPad or even any generation of Pro then the experience will be much better.

Best bang for the buck by far IMO is the 2018 iPad. Runs as good as a 2nd generation Pro and is much much cheaper.

FWIW I recently switched from an Air 2 to a 10.5 Pro and the difference in performance is huge. The extra power makes a big difference if you are using external plugins.

After looking at pricing I agree. The 2018 iPad is around $279 while a used Air 1 is around $180-200. Well worth the difference I think and you know what you’re getting including a warranty.

• Well having had a look at specs and thinking about the future I've decided to save for a 2018 IPad and hope the exchange rate (I live in the UK) helps with this. In the meantime I'll keep on making music with NS1. Thanks to all for the advice.

• @NumptyDumppty said:
    Well having had a look at specs and thinking about the future I've decided to save for a 2018 IPad and hope the exchange rate (I live in the UK) helps with this. In the meantime I'll keep on making music with NS1. Thanks to all for the advice.

I think that’s a wise choice. Hope you can squirrel away some funds soon!

• edited February 2019

Try and get a cheap iPad Pro 2017 if you can. That's my advice. These still have a headphone port and they can be snapped up, at least the 64gb ones can (mine!) fairly cheap at the moment.

I'm also in the UK btw. I got mine from Cash Generator!