What have you learned in NS2?

I’ve been working on this tune for several weeks and finally got to the stage of my workflow where I start automating stuff. Usually, I just do minor tweaks to the mix and whatnot as I go, but I don’t do any parameter automation or volume/pan stuff until the very last thing. One reason is a bit of a limitation in NS2 where I can’t move automation on tracks, but because of that it’s offerred me a new creative outlet.

I had this one section that I wanted to be more industrial but it didn’t sound industrial. The patches I think work, but it didn’t kick me in the face like I wanted. Once I started automating I was thinking how can I honor Trent Reznor with my work and thought about the sound of things I liked by NIN. I couldn’t automate the Shaper plugin from K-Devices because it’s an AU effect but I can automate filters that I have running through it or after it. So I went to work:

This allows me to shape the sounds i’m shoving into the plugin with automation control and it’s made this drum and bass sounds very nasty IMO, but only when I want it to be, because this is on a send, so I can automate the volume of how much trashy distortion I want mixed in (which for me is a lot because distortion is :+1: :+1: :+1: ).

Would I like to automate the AU directly? Sure, but it didn’t stop me from making cool noise that I wanted :lol:

Anybody else learning neat things as they are working on stuff?

Comments

• @drez said:
    I’ve been working on this tune for several weeks and finally got to the stage of my workflow where I start automating stuff. Usually, I just do minor tweaks to the mix and whatnot as I go, but I don’t do any parameter automation or volume/pan stuff until the very last thing. One reason is a bit of a limitation in NS2 where I can’t move automation on tracks, but because of that it’s offerred me a new creative outlet.

I had this one section that I wanted to be more industrial but it didn’t sound industrial. The patches I think work, but it didn’t kick me in the face like I wanted. Once I started automating I was thinking how can I honor Trent Reznor with my work and thought about the sound of things I liked by NIN. I couldn’t automate the Shaper plugin from K-Devices because it’s an AU effect but I can automate filters that I have running through it or after it. So I went to work:

This allows me to shape the sounds i’m shoving into the plugin with automation control and it’s made this drum and bass sounds very nasty IMO, but only when I want it to be, because this is on a send, so I can automate the volume of how much trashy distortion I want mixed in (which for me is a lot because distortion is :+1: :+1: :+1: ).

Would I like to automate the AU directly? Sure, but it didn’t stop me from making cool noise that I wanted :lol:

Love this! Instead of crying about what’s not there you figured out a way to get your desired result. There’s a very deep lesson there! It’s called being “creative”!

• edited February 8

Here too, full immersion - I'm amazed continually by the exactitude and particularity of nanostudio for sound, for bringing it all together, for the evolving of the ideas of the music itself.
    Finding myself occupied with refining a 12sec. fragment over days ... like thru a fractal ... scalarizing onward ... variations on miniatures ...
    Like a beatnik given the perfect typewriter, I'm now contemplating, extracting, removing and rearranging with an unheard-of appreciation.

• @anickt said:

@drez said:

Love this! Instead of crying about what’s not there you figured out a way to get your desired result. There’s a very deep lesson there! It’s called being “creative”!

+1 for pointing out the positives of creativity. Nicely done @drez!!

• @Stanley_V said:
    Here too, full immersion - I'm amazed continually by the exactitude and particularity of nanostudio for sound, for bringing it all together, for the evolving of the ideas of the music itself.
    Finding myself occupied with refining a 12sec. fragment over days ... like thru a fractal ... scalarizing onward ... variations on miniatures ...
    Like a beatnik given the perfect typewriter, I'm now contemplating, extracting, removing and rearranging with an unheard-of appreciation.

I like that B)

• edited February 8

@drez i'm proud to have creative mind like you in this community ! I really can't wait to your tune. You are the one who is pushing limits if NS2 probably most from all users around the globe :))

(btw. i feel you pain about moving track automations with clips, it's in my top 3 wishlist too :-) . Matt needs to be cloned definitely, that would solve everything :trollface: )

@Stanley_V What a nice fractal. I even enjoyed watching timeline how you stacked those patterns in single track, it looks so coool :))

What have i learned in NS2 ? Amongs the developement related things, things "under the hood" (i will be thankfull for this opportunity to rest of my life), it amazes me that even after 5 years with NS, from the very begging, i'm still able to discover some new workflow, new combinations how to use features provided.. I didn't experienced this with any other DAW even on desktop (from what i read it's probably because i didn't used Ableton Live, which looks to me like similiar type of tool, if i ever return from some strange reason back to desktop, that would be for sure my DAW of choice :)))

For me biggest thing i learned was ironically in area which i never used too much in my tracks - sampling. As a result of some complains about missing features i was on the hunt for workarounds - and i found some pretty cool ways how to use sampling inside NS which pretty much expanded my creative arsenal .. For example automation of sample start, eventually mixed with quantisation in automation editor is veeeery powerfull .. Or in combination with Slate (triggering obsidian) to get basically non-destructive sample slicing. What a posibilities ! And i'm sure i still didn't explored everything what is possible.

• Oh hey, I just learned that you can edit part properties for all selected parts at once. This means naming parts is super simple. I was almost sure it wouldn’t work because it’s one of those workflow optimizations that always gets bumped by something more important. But it’s Matt, so it’s just there. In v 1.0.

• Learning by listening to (all of) you, thanks for your insights. Setting up tracks with fx like in Will's prj. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lnany5ttxc03y9/That dot below the moons.nsa?dl=0 and automating the sends (Drez!) make Matt's wishmashine move, for sure!