Auv3’s not loading..

edited December 2020 in Bug Reports

..when starting NS2. You know that thing it usually does on start up to show it’s recognising auv3’s? It skips it all. Then, any projects with auv3’s show as not loaded, and unable to reload. (Just a couple of fx auv3’s in my case) A full ipad restart solves it, temporarily it seems, because I have to do it every other day now.. latest ios 14+ on air 3.

Comments

• edited December 2020

i got this situation after i updated to iOS14 ... restart fixed it too, but never happened again ..
    If this happens. can you seet plugins listed on other host ? Cubasis, AUM or whatever other host you have ?

• edited December 2020

The only other auv3 host I got is AUM but I never used it much.. Just to test, it seems no auv3 show up there either (unless I’m doing something wrong) but I hope that doesn’t mean there’s no fix for this? (Restarting has gotten a bit tedious)

I updated to ios 14 as soon as it was safe (something about ns2 iaps fix) but this has only started happening recently..

• are you sure you have latest iOS 14.2 ?
    how many free space is on your device ? In case it is full, try delete something to free up at least 0.5 - 1 GB...

• edited December 2020

Yes I’m sure, and the device (256gb) is much less than half full.. (in the past ios would offload apps if it got too full so, like memory, it seems to manage space too. Speaking of memory i hear its a thing to stop apps to free up memory so I endeavour to do that too)

• It's an iOS 14 thing. Still not fixed. The solution that sometimes works in other hosts is to request the list of IAA plugins then go back to check the AUv3's. But of course you can't do that in NS2, so reboot is the only option.

The AUM developer tried to put in place a hack that would get around this by requesting the IAA list in the background, but it only works sometimes. Reboot. Feels like Windows 98 around here.

Soo glad I didn't update to iOS 14. :#

• edited December 2020

@Blip Interactive anything you can say about this? are apple on the case or what? (i reported to apple but they dont reply to users)

• edited December 2020

@bluemoononwunday - No developer I know of on any forum or social media has been able to shed light on when Apple will fix this.

• @number37 so you're speaking for the dev now..

• edited December 2020

I was trying to be helpful. No need to be a dick.

• i was just left with the feeling that tagging the dev was a no no (so busy?) since you answered in their stead. besides, no need to comment how much its like windows 98 in here and that you're so relieved you stuck with pre ios 14

• It’s not a no-no, but mostly this forum is run by the mods/beta team and we report to Matt, who is the developer. He does come here occasionally, especially when there are announcements, like updates or serious issues like the first week of iOS/iPadOS 14 when NS needed an update to fix IAP issues.

We haven’t heard anything about this from Matt or Apple and the issue is super annoying, I’m suffering from it too. If Matt makes a statement on this it will certainly be on this forum so you will know about it immediately.

• edited December 2020

alright then 👍 it's just I didn't see this particular issue talked about elsewhere by anyone on this forum before i posted...

• I’m having the same issue with auv3, figured I’d post here instead of starting a new thread. But can’t see or use any auv3, instruments/ fx/ midi are all showing like I have none. However, I’m not having this issues in other DaW’s or Mixer’s (aum/ ape mtrx) . Ns2 is top shelf to all the others, imo, but this bug is making it harder for me to brag on NS2.

iOS 14.6
    iPhone X 64gb

I think my iPad hasn’t been updated yet so I’m fixing to check it out there.

https://soundcloud.com/karmatosed

• @karmatosed are you sure that the AUv3s are showing up in other DAWs right now? IOS 14 has a known issue where occasionally all AUv3 apps will disappear until you do a full reboot of the device.

Either way, a reboot is the first thing to try.
    If that doesn’t bring them back, find the Manage button above the AUv3 app list and select Refresh.

If neither of those work, then maybe post a screenshot of where you are looking for the apps?

• @number37 said:
    @karmatosed are you sure that the AUv3s are showing up in other DAWs right now? IOS 14 has a known issue where occasionally all AUv3 apps will disappear until you do a full reboot of the device.

Either way, a reboot is the first thing to try.
    If that doesn’t bring them back, find the Manage button above the AUv3 app list and select Refresh.

If neither of those work, then maybe post a screenshot of where you are looking for the apps?

Correct.

Also, if a reboot does help, one thing you can do to make the bug hit you less frequently is to manually close the DAW when you are done (instead of letting the OS close it automatically).

• edited June 2021

I’ve had NS2 since shortly after it dropped, but very quickly lost interest as it seemed to comprise no more than a so-so soft synth and a bunch of drum kits. However, I recently watched someone on YT use AUv3s in NS2, something i thought was not possible, so I gave it another go. Result? No AUv3s found, either as instruments or fx, on either of my iPads (a 2018 9.7” for general use and a 2019 10.2” solely for music). Tried ‘import’ and ‘refresh’ to no avail. Posted my issue on a Patreon community page and an NS2 user advised delete and re-install. Still no AUs on either iPad, both of which are running iOS 14.6, without any issues. AUM- which I use every day- operates trouble-free with every single app I own available, as does Cubasis 3. I’ve contacted the dev- but has anyone here got any ideas? As it stands, it’s useless as a DAW, comprising as it does a single soft synth- no access to AUv3s, STILL no audio tracks, no drum sequencer. I suspect that the next time I uninstall it there will be no re-install as it’s simply a waste of space.

I’ve hopefully attached a screenshot, taken AFTER the latest re-install. Evidence of absence as the saying is…

• This happened to me recently. Never before and not since. Just took a re-boot of my iPad to fix it. Missing AU’s is a known iOS issue and not specific to any one app.

And it’s very sad to see you so dismissive of one of the best music apps on iOS. “So-so soft synth and a bunch of drum kits”? I think not. As you say, you didn’t even know you can use AUv3’s. Spend some time learning it. You may find a lot more there than you thought. Or maybe not…

• Having re-installed on, and subsequently rebooted, both iPads I find that I am still lumbered with (and I stand by this) a so-so soft synth and a bunch of drum kits- and nothing else. The reason I didn’t know I could use AUv3s is because I could not, and still cannot do so.

Maybe it’s a hardware issue, but AUM- used daily- has never failed to locate and host any app I own in the last two years or so, on either device. I am perfectly prepared- indeed, would be delighted- to “spend some time learning it”, but not until I have access to the features that would lift it out of the ‘sorry I bought this’ category.

Thank you for your response though, and I trust that you, at least, are enjoying it…

• @Rorytheborder - that's really strange, especially since it's happening on two devices for you. I've never heard of anything like that. The devices aren't jailbroken or anything are they?

• @Rorytheborder said:
    Having re-installed on, and subsequently rebooted, both iPads I find that I am still lumbered with (and I stand by this) a so-so soft synth and a bunch of drum kits- and nothing else. The reason I didn’t know I could use AUv3s is because I could not, and still cannot do so.

Maybe it’s a hardware issue, but AUM- used daily- has never failed to locate and host any app I own in the last two years or so, on either device. I am perfectly prepared- indeed, would be delighted- to “spend some time learning it”, but not until I have access to the features that would lift it out of the ‘sorry I bought this’ category.

Thank you for your response though, and I trust that you, at least, are enjoying it…

Sorry it’s not working for you. It’s strange that some people on the Audiobus forum who have essentially the same setup as me have all these weird issues and I don’t see them at all. I wonder if there’s some kind of small manufacturing defect on those devices. No way to know I guess. 😎👍🏼

• @number37 said:
    @Rorytheborder - that's really strange, especially since it's happening on two devices for you. I've never heard of anything like that. The devices aren't jailbroken or anything are they?

Both purchased from an Apple store- so probably not, lol…

Interestingly, I’ve just in the last few minutes watched a Youtuber suddenly lose all AUv3s during a live stream, reboot, and get them straight back.

I mat as well persevere, at least on one device. iOS 15 is imminent I’m told- although that will no doubt come with a raft of other nonsense. Apple do not care for their not inconsiderable musical community at all, do they?

• @Rorytheborder said:

@number37 said:
    @Rorytheborder - that's really strange, especially since it's happening on two devices for you. I've never heard of anything like that. The devices aren't jailbroken or anything are they?

Both purchased from an Apple store- so probably not, lol…

Interestingly, I’ve just in the last few minutes watched a Youtuber suddenly lose all AUv3s during a live stream, reboot, and get them straight back.

I mat as well persevere, at least on one device. iOS 15 is imminent I’m told- although that will no doubt come with a raft of other nonsense. Apple do not care for their not inconsiderable musical community at all, do they?

Do you have space optimization on on your devices? If you do, that might be Apple deleting your plugins in the background because you haven’t opened the actual apps in a long time. The setting is in the Settings app in Storage ”offload unused apps”.

• edited June 2021

@Rorytheborder said:

I’ve had NS2 since shortly after it dropped, but very quickly lost interest as it seemed to comprise no more than a so-so soft synth and a bunch of drum kits.

Woah! “ a so-so soft synth” ??! Obsidian?

Tough crowd, tough crowd.

A 3 oscillator synth where each oscillator covers every type of synthesis except additive (i.e. virtual-analog/multi-saw/multi-noise/FM/Wavetable/multi-layered-Sample-player - most synth types including RingMod & Sync). Each patch can have 3 fully modulateable filters (2 of which can be routed as serial or parallel). Each filter having multiple filter types including “analog” & digital versions of each type. It has an incredibly flexible and easy to use modulation routing system for virtually every parameter across the entire synth (oscillators, filters, everything) - inc multiple assignments per modulation source & multiple sources per assignment - with an additional and very comprehensive matrix for further refinement if that’s more your thing. Loads & loads of modulation sources - which themselves are fully modulateable! - i.e. loads of lfo’s each with loads of editable shape types; loads of envelopes. A flexible built in fx section (each effect re-ordable in the rack & again all parameters of each effect modulateable). It also has 8 user assignable & externally controllable macro controls per patch, plus an assignable x-y pad controller.

Basically - in my humble opinion - Obsidian is one of the most powerful & flexible synths I’ve ever used in over 30 years making & producing music (and that statement covers hardware analog/digital & hybrid, and software) and it actually runs on my phone!!! For me Obsidian is missing only user-importable wavetables into the wavetable oscillator (and then probably some decent WT warping options) and dedicated time-stretching of samples in the sample player oscillator (and/or sample editor).

... and all of the above written in an incredibly efficient manner which means I can literally run hundreds of instances of Obsidian in a single project on an iPhoneXR!

With all that in mind I can see where the 6 years of development have gone into it.

So obviously it’s all in the eyes of the beholder of course & I apologise if I sound a little aggressive in my unashamed fan-boy defence of Obsidian in my comments above, but - seriously - I’m genuinely interested in what you find is missing currently that would elevate Obsidian from being merely “a so so soft synth” ? (not that you can expect to see any of them implemented though what with the state of things being unfortunately as they are 😔)

Regards & stay safe 😊😷

• Obsidian is a damn fine synth!
    Combined with the best sequencer!
    …at a fraction of what comparable features would be on desktop or hardware.