Audio Tracks - Priority Poll (unofficial, but still...)

Comments

• @anickt said:
    Back in the day I made (and sold) a bunch of music with a hardware system that had a lot less capability than NS2. Seems like people are more concerned about what they want than what they can do. That’s not fanboy-ism. It’s just fact.

Totally agree!

• @Stiksi said:

I think this is just a difference in point of view. NS1 was a strong synth-based app that had basic sampler functionality and NS2 continued this approach with better sampler capability and more extensive audio manipulation planned on the roadmap. For example Beatmaker took the opposite approach and launched as a fully audio / sample oriented app, and BM3 has an incredible sampler. They didn’t make their own synth at all and only got that capability with 3rd party plugins. Auria did the same thing with a different emphasis.

It’s just a difference of approach, the end goal is still basically the same. All started with a strong affinity to one thing and are converging in the middle.

I totally agree regarding different approach. Pretty much voicing my subjective opinion on the subject, there’s no right or wrong here just preference. Wanted to hear what others thought, however.

There are other DAWs out there, so there must be a reason why people prefer NS2 over the other ones. For me, it’s basically a fully functional DAW with good preset management, excellent piano roll, Link, ability to rearrange FX and no limit on their quantity. And great overall UI.

BM3 is a great DAW with really powerful sampler, and great preset management. But the UI, although beautifully designed, is not ergonomic enough. Just too many taps to get things done. The scenes mode is really great too, but if I want to compose in linear mode sometimes it accidentally jumps into Scenes and I have to go in, remove things to go back. There are a lot of things that are just not ironed out, like keyboard popping up every time you go into instrument or even FX (why does fx even need a keyboard?). MIDI assignment is not as straightforward or in single place as in Cubasis. Cubasis got the most direct UI I could ever wish for. Everything is right there, no need to go into any different modes, but it’s got limited FX slots that can’t be rearranged, no Link, and horrible preset management that also auto-overwrites your projects. Also, both BM3 and Cubasis have difficult to use piano rolls.

So what I’m saying is, yes these are all tools and all can be used just fine by many people who don’t think of these things I mentioned as flaws at all. But what do people look for when they buy yet another DAW? NS2 is fourth for me... and my reasons you know.

Obsidian is great, no doubt about it, so is Slate, collection of samples is very well chosen too. But these are musical instruments... We have instruments in App Store, we don’t have a perfect DAW there.

• edited December 2019

ability to rearrange FX and no limit on their quantity.

and unlimited number of sends and group channels, and even unlimited levels of grouping ! This is for me crucial thing, anytime i need to group some tracks, i can - even if those tracks are groups too, containing another groups, containing another groups...

also MIDI sends are pretty handy for advanced layering

• I mean...it’s one guy developing part time.

I’m pretty sure he’s happy with the result. The music people are cranking out with NS2 is stellar, imo. I’ve see more music coming from the NS2 community than any other looking at the Audiobus forums. I think people have a lot of “noodling” going on with AUM and whatnot, but people are publishing full songs on NS2 at a larger rate than any other “DAW”, or whatever classification you want to label it...which doesn’t matter. The music itself matters.

• @epFox said:
    Obsidian is great, no doubt about it, so is Slate, collection of samples is very well chosen too. But these are musical instruments... We have instruments in App Store, we don’t have a perfect DAW there.

As far as my personal workflow goes, this is true. I don’t really even need a perfect DAW on iOS. Even with my 12,9” iPad pro, I prefer to do the bulk of mixing on the desktop in Ableton, there’s just so much more screen space and it’s permanently connected to speakers. Even when NS gets audio tracks, I will probably mix on the desktop. But of course, I understand that there is a huge number of people who want to do it all on the pad. Or phone even! This is definitely the goal.

• @drez said:
    I mean...it’s one guy developing part time.

I’m pretty sure he’s happy with the result. The music people are cranking out with NS2 is stellar, imo. I’ve see more music coming from the NS2 community than any other looking at the Audiobus forums. I think people have a lot of “noodling” going on with AUM and whatnot, but people are publishing full songs on NS2 at a larger rate than any other “DAW”, or whatever classification you want to label it...which doesn’t matter. The music itself matters.

The other day I listened back to my NS2 tracks, having just reached ‘a certain point’ with my latest BM3 tracks and it really struck me just how flowy and complete and with total ease the NS2 tracks sound. The overall vibe is more chill and sweet in NS2 for me and more experimental and weird in BM3, both I like but they really do bring out different aspects of my character. BM3 has an inherent struggle built into it for me and I do like the challenge and creative rewards it has but dayum that NS2 flow is an undeniable lovely headspace to be in. Think I may return soon, audio tracks or no audio tracks. It may be a completely different deal now that I have a 10.5 pro and can run both at the same time... will see...

• @Stiksi said:
    Personally, I think there’s absolutely no harm in asking questions. It’s a shame we can’t answer the schedule-relating ones but we try our best with the others 🙂

What stiksi said. 100%. I also think there's no harm in wishing-out-loud for features either.

It's when people start throwing 'fanboy' at people who have a different opinion or insisting an insanely capable app like NS2 can't be taken seriously because it's missing xyz-feature that things go goofy.

• @Stiksi said:

@epFox said:

As far as my personal workflow goes, this is true. I don’t really even need a perfect DAW on iOS. Even with my 12,9” iPad pro, I prefer to do the bulk of mixing on the desktop in Ableton, there’s just so much more screen space and it’s permanently connected to speakers. Even when NS gets audio tracks, I will probably mix on the desktop. But of course, I understand that there is a huge number of people who want to do it all on the pad. Or phone even! This is definitely the goal.

When it comes to mixing, with acoustic instruments you have no choice but to work on the audio material. The midi is fluid, however, as it’s connected to the digital instruments. In other words, if you feel the need to EQ something, you can instead tweak the synth patch. This way you have a lot more control over the sound characteristics. So because of this, I compose and mix in the same place.

• Are we there yet?

• @anickt said:
    Back in the day I made (and sold) a bunch of music with a hardware system that had a lot less capability than NS2. Seems like people are more concerned about what they want than what they can do. That’s not fanboy-ism. It’s just fact.

Almost true I’m a producer which means I make music and I record vocals I would love to have just one place to do that on iOS that works like I need it to... Emphasis on NEED not want I’ve ditched the laptop because I don’t like using them anymore... For now Cubasis 3 has just fulfilled that need I was promised audio tracks in 2019 and I waited an entire year patiently for that which didn’t happen and still I’m not upset but I’ve been forced to put Nano to the side after I have pushed this app so hard on my instagram and converted quite a few people... Nano has the best work flow hands down I want to push this “daw” to the world but it is not that it’s not a “daw” and calling it one is a false statement and putting it in an incorrect category for now it is a work station like a Roland Fantom and a Korg Kronos... If that’s what it is gonna be fine I’ll use it as such but I was told this was a daw and it is not that and that’s facts

• We all wish/want/long for NS2 to be a fully fledged DAW, but complaining won't make it so. The dev, Matt, is a single person working (to my knowledge) on completing NS2 as a part-time venture in order to keep food on the table while he does so. He is also a supreme craftsman who spends the time to produce a product that is apart from what else is available on iOS... a solid, bug-free, platform that has, and will have, a fantastic implementation.

Believe me, just seeing what the product does thus far in a clear indication that when audio is completely integrated, it will be flawless. Have faith, my friend!

• @sch said:
    We all wish/want/long for NS2 to be a fully fledged DAW, but complaining won't make it so. The dev, Matt, is a single person working (to my knowledge) on completing NS2 as a part-time venture in order to keep food on the table while he does so. He is also a supreme craftsman who spends the time to produce a product that is apart from what else is available on iOS... a solid, bug-free, platform that has, and will have, a fantastic implementation.

Believe me, just seeing what the product does thus far in a clear indication that when audio is completely integrated, it will be flawless. Have faith, my friend!

@sch said:
    We all wish/want/long for NS2 to be a fully fledged DAW, but complaining won't make it so. The dev, Matt, is a single person working (to my knowledge) on completing NS2 as a part-time venture in order to keep food on the table while he does so. He is also a supreme craftsman who spends the time to produce a product that is apart from what else is available on iOS... a solid, bug-free, platform that has, and will have, a fantastic implementation.

I’m not complaining I’m waiting Nano is all I’ve bragged about the past year.... Its all I recommend but to say some of us want more than we need is ridiculous. Some people’s needs are different than others I need vocals in order to complete songs not just the music.... I can’t wait for the audio tracks I keep telling everyone when Matt finishes it, this will be the logic of iOS.... Been saying it since day one... I want to record albums in Nano and promote this as a complete daw with all I have and that’s why I’ve been patient I bought cubasis 3 just for my vocals until it’s finished....

I’ve been a Nano user since the release of the first version before GarageBand was even on iOS so I know the history I waited patiently for the second release while still using the first version

• @PUMP said:
    I’m not complaining I’m waiting Nano is all I’ve bragged about the past year.... Its all I recommend but to say some of us want more than we need is ridiculous. Some people’s needs are different than others I need vocals in order to complete songs not just the music.... I can’t wait for the audio tracks I keep telling everyone when Matt finishes it, this will be the logic of iOS.... Been saying it since day one... I want to record albums in Nano and promote this as a complete daw with all I have and that’s why I’ve been patient I bought cubasis 3 just for my vocals until it’s finished....

I’ve been a Nano user since the release of the first version before GarageBand was even on iOS so I know the history I waited patiently for the second release while still using the first version

For now what I do is to compose and arrange in NS2 and then just export the stems and do the vocal tracking and final mixing in Auria - best of both worlds.

• @richardyot said:

@PUMP said:

For now what I do is to compose and arrange in NS2 and then just export the stems and do the vocal tracking and final mixing in Auria - best of both worlds.

I do the same but I finish on the desktop. I haven’t found a comfortable app on iPadOS.

• @richardyot said:

@PUMP said:

@Stiksi said:

@richardyot said:

@PUMP said:

I do the same but I finish on the desktop. I haven’t found a comfortable app on iPadOS.

This seems like blatant cheating on your spouse! Come on where’s the loyalty and fidelity? Audio tracks need to be added like yesterday so that we’re not the least bit tempted to stray😁

• edited January 2020

@Audiogus said:
    Are we there yet?

I once heard someone say “ We’re right where we need to be”
    Really now, I don’t buy that jazz....where or where are you audio tracks😉

• @Arpseechord said:

@Audiogus said:
    Are we there yet?

I once heard someone say “ We’re right where we need to be”
    Really now, I don’t buy that jazz....where or where are you audio tracks😉

I’m quite sure we are on the way there I remember seeing Matt wouldn’t add audio tracks until he finished the iPhone version of Nano so we are on the road map lol

• @richardyot said:

@PUMP said:

Auria is great I changed to cubasis 3 for the vocal because you can now use 8 effect slots and I prefer to have more slots just in case... Can you imagine when we can finally track vocals in Nano!!!!

• @PUMP said:

@richardyot said:

@PUMP said:

Auria is great I changed to cubasis 3 for the vocal because you can now use 8 effect slots and I prefer to have more slots just in case... Can you imagine when we can finally track vocals in Nano!!!!

I always bus the vocals to one of the groups in Auria anyway, so I have 8 slots by default (4 on the channel and 4 on the group). You can daisy-chain channels in Auria via bussing if you even need more inserts.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with Cubasis 3 of course, I might check it out at some point.

• edited January 2020

@richardyot said:

@PUMP said:

@richardyot said:

@PUMP said:

I always bus the vocals to one of the groups in Auria anyway, so I have 8 slots by default (4 on the channel and 4 on the group). You can daisy-chain channels in Auria via bussing if you even need more inserts.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with Cubasis 3 of course, I might check it out at some point.

That is true

• @Arpseechord said:
    This seems like blatant cheating on your spouse! Come on where’s the loyalty and fidelity? Audio tracks need to be added like yesterday so that we’re not the least bit tempted to stray😁

Despite the number in the name, NS2 is not very big on monogamy. I mean, as long as dendy’s there, I’m barely a concubine. Or cockubine? I don’t know, the English word is oddly gender exclusive unlike in some other languages.

• edited January 2020

@Stiksi said:

@Arpseechord said:

Despite the number in the name, NS2 is not very big on monogamy. I mean, as long as dendy’s there, I’m barely a concubine. Or cockubine? I don’t know, the English word is oddly gender exclusive unlike in some other languages.

It’s concubina in Latin so make of that what you like😁A cockubine sounds like a dreaded incident with a fellows’ johnson and a particularly stiff zipper on a new pair of jeans....

• @Arpseechord said:

@Stiksi said:

@Arpseechord said:

It’s concubina in Latin so make of that what you like😁A cockubine sounds like a dreaded incident with a fellows’ johnson and a particularly stiff zipper on a new pair of jeans....

Ah, the joys of going commando 🥶 Not doing that anymore.

• @Stiksi said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Stiksi said:

@Arpseechord said:

Ya it’s just not worth it, look at all the trouble Arnold had in that movie💣
    Great soundtrack though lol

• @Arpseechord said:

@Stiksi said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Stiksi said:

@Arpseechord said:

Could we talk about something else... 😝

• @anickt said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Stiksi said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Stiksi said:

@Arpseechord said:

Could we talk about something else... 😝

Well since you asked nicely ok I guess we can....😉

• edited April 2020

Audio Tracks? I seem to be remembering someone mentioning those but I can’t be sure no more.. my memory is fading... feels like eternity these days....

• edited May 2020

Sure hope to see audio tracks soon👍

• 😭 🤞🏼