Deal breaking Issue after an update to never iOS versions

To record from NS2 I rarely use mixdown feature but instead I record audio input from NS2 via AudioShare recorder. This allows to record AUM style minutes long jams, even when you have only 4 bars in NS2 sequencer. And that’s the only way it makes sense for me to use NS2.

Unfortunately since some time, after updating to newer iOS versions this is no longer possible. Crackling is almost always present. I have already did everything that is possible to try to improve the situation - changed buffer sizes, sample rates, messed with measure mode, even updated to the newest iOS 15.6 but the update made the matter even worse….

The crackling is not an issue in Cubasis 3 (when loaded into AudioShare recorder), so it looks like it’s not iOS issue but rather NS2s that needs to be updated.

Dear NS2 developers, can you please kindly fix this issue?

Please don’t abandon your users who love your product dearly.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Running on iPad mini 5

Comments

• edited August 2022

@starkfvx : Does it crackle when you do the same thing but using AUM‘s recording function to record your jamming session instead of Audioshare‘s?

Check out this video from the awesome Jakob Haq on how to set up AUM to do it (in case it isn’t something you‘re aware you can do):

If this works ok then maybe that’s the way to go instead?

I‘d like to help further but I use NS2 as a traditional DAW so have no experience of using it in the way you do.

• @TakkAtakk said:
    @starkfvx : Does it crackle when you do the same thing but using AUM‘s recording function to record your jamming session instead of Audioshare‘s?

Check out this video from the awesome Jakob Haq on how to set up AUM to do it (in case it isn’t something you‘re aware you can do):

If this works ok then maybe that’s the way to go instead?

I‘d like to help further but I use NS2 as a traditional DAW so have no experience of using it in the way you do.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately NS2 crackles when loaded as IAA into AUM BUT I have found a way to record jams from NS2 - the sound is super clear and can be recorded when loading NS2 into Cubasis 3 (!) This was a bit counter intuitive since both apps seems to quite resource hungry, but it works.

Anyway, would love to see a NS2 update (at least to update UI to newest iPad models)

Cheers

• @starkfvx said:

This was a bit counter intuitive since both apps seems to quite resource hungry, but it works.
    >

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to NS2 as “resource hungry”. Huh.

NS2 did not initially support IAA, and now we might see why. IAA support was added, despite the AUv3 zeitgeist, and of course sooner or later Apple makes things difficult. I can’t speak for the team of developers at Blip Interactive, but I suspect they would want to just drop IAA support entirely to avoid the headaches.

I’m glad to hear about this - I will avoid updating. I occassionally use AudioShare or AUM to record stuff for import into NS2, usually for Slate or Obsidian. I haven’t had the crackling issues, but I am on earlier iOS. Just curious though why the NS2 Mixdown feature wouldn’t work? Isn’t an audio file an audio file (barring bit rate variations)?

• @starkfvx @SlapHappy

I have iOS 15.6.1 on an iPad 8. All of this works fine for me. Are you setting level properly and do you have Normalize off in AudioShare? It should be off. Better to set level properly.

I have never had any issue with keeping iOS current.

• @anickt said:
    @starkfvx @SlapHappy

I have iOS 15.6.1 on an iPad 8. All of this works fine for me. Are you setting level properly and do you have Normalize off in AudioShare? It should be off. Better to set level properly.

Oh, well, that is good to know! I’m still on iOS 14.8 on my iPhone. I had been wondering if it is safe to move to 15 before 16 comes out. Hopefully @starkfvx can confirm that his results are better with normalize set to off.

• @SlapHappy said:

@anickt said:
    @starkfvx @SlapHappy

Oh, well, that is good to know! I’m still on iOS 14.8 on my iPhone. I had been wondering if it is safe to move to 15 before 16 comes out. Hopefully @starkfvx can confirm that his results are better with normalize set to off.

Hey @SlapHappy i have just updated the iPad to A14 chip. All works well. Cheers

• Cool! Thanks for coming back to let us know all is well.

• edited December 2022

(wrong thread)