Crash logs or debug files?

NS2 is really reliable - really reliable - but I’ve got an auv3 plugin in my latest project that has become so unreliable at some point recently and its causing a huge cpu spike about 5 minutes after my project has loaded.

CPU spikes are not uncommon - most sessions I tend to get one usually about 5 mins in which usually rides itself out after 10 or 15 seconds and then doesn’t happen again that session.

This particular cpu spike though is so bad that it is not only causing NS2 to crash but I’ve had it actually crash my iPhone (twice) this morning. It’s literally took down my actual device (iPhoneXR btw)! To be honest I’ve only ever had NS2 crash twice before in all of the years I’ve been using it!

The problem is trying to work out which auv3 plugin. It’s not as simple as “what was the last plug-in you added to the project?” unfortunately. It’s a complex project and utilises a lot of auv3s (synths, samplers, fx & midi). That said pre-spike the cpu meter in NS2 is usually hovering around the 25/30% mark despite the complexity of the project.

I have my suspicions as to which plugin it is but without proof I can’t approach its developer to spend time & resource trying to track down something on a hunch.

So, to that end, are there any handy NS2 debug files or crash logs I can get my hands on to try to track down which plugin it is? If so, could someone point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Further to the above - I suppose I’ve broken my own golden rule in this project: ie bounce out to wav each element asap and remove that element’s plugin/s from the track/project.

Still, being able to access the crash logs and track down which plugin isn’t playing nicely would be good - so if anyone could help I’d appreciate it.

Thanks.

• @TakkAtakk said:
    Further to the above - I suppose I’ve broken my own golden rule in this project: ie bounce out to wav each element asap and remove that element’s plugin/s from the track/project.

Still, being able to access the crash logs and track down which plugin isn’t playing nicely would be good - so if anyone could help I’d appreciate it.

Thanks.

If you have NS2 crash logs, wade through them and the evil plugin might be named somewhere.

• You can find crash logs in iOS Settings > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data. They're very tough to glean any useful information from though unless you're a developer and are familiar with the code. Even then actually. There are daily, 90Day, journal, etc. that you can ignore. If NS2 crashed then you should see entries for it.

The logs are unlikely to reveal which plugin caused the crash, unless the plugin itself crashed. In that case you should find a crash log for that plugin and the date/time should be the same as the crash. (Or, it's possible there could be logs for all the plugins at that time due to the abnormal termination. I'm not sure.)

• Many thanks @anickt and @number37 🙏🙏

Will go and have a look.

Cheers 👍

• Right - I’ve found a crash log for NS2 for the time of the first device crash this morning. More importantly I have found a corresponding crash log for Koala (which was my suspected culprit) with the same timestamp and reporting the same crash ExceptionType (“EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)”) and ExceptionNote (“EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY”) as the NS2 crash log. I do not see a crash log for other auv3s with the same timestamp (eg Drambo - which I have a number of instances of in the project).

The irritating thing here - if as I suspect it is Koala - there is only 1 Koala instance in the project and its sat on a muted track and has no samples loaded in it.

I’ve now removed it and will keep an eye on matters for a while.

I’m going to forward the log to Elf Audio to see if it means anything to him.

Thanks for your help 👍

• 😎👍🏼