Vocals

I really feel like ns2 should have a voice recorder…

Comments

• Huh? You can record voice to both Slate and Obsidian.
    Is what you really mean that it should have a way to record audio to the timeline? If so ... sorry, not gonna happen. NS2 isn't getting feature updates any more.

• Another way to use vocal or other audio samples in NS2 is with a plugin such as Loopy Pro or 4Pockets Multitrack Recorder. Not a great option though. You can't record directly to them in NS2, you have to import to them after recording to them standalone.

• @number37 have you used 4 Pockets Multitrack Recorder with NS2? I have the app but haven’t yet had the need to try it. I should probably try it so I can know if/how to recommend it. …Once I get some pressing projects handled that is.

• edited October 2023

No I just didn’t realize there was a way to do it on slate or obsidian

• @SlapHappy said:
    @number37 have you used 4 Pockets Multitrack Recorder with NS2? I have the app but haven’t yet had the need to try it. I should probably try it so I can know if/how to recommend it. …Once I get some pressing projects handled that is.

I've used it a few times. It's OK but to me is more trouble than it's worth. You can't record directly into it from audio inputs, so you have to record in standalone and import. And, you don't see the audio in the timeline which is inconvenient. (You can create empty dummy tracks to mark audio positions but ...)

To me Loopy Pro is more convenient for this task ... subject to the same limitations as above, but somewhat easier to work with.

Sorry to say but really when I want to work on a project with audio recordings, I simply resort to another DAWs. I know you can use Obsidian and Slate but there's just a block in my thinking against going that route ... natural to some I know but not for me.

• How do you sample on Obsidian?

• @ollie said:
    How do you sample on Obsidian?

Pick an Oscillator, change its type to Sample, then hit the Rec Sample button that you'll now see.

• edited October 2023

Playing the sample is as easy as hitting the Root note, which defaults to C3 but can be changed. If the recording is set to Loop (the default), it'll repeat for as long as the note is held down. So you can place a pattern with that note in the timeline.

The biggest drawback is the sample won't sound unless the playhead crosses where the note is placed. If you start playback in the middle of the note you won't hear anything.

• I am on an iPhone for this,
    Where is “sample” on obsidian?

• @ollie said:
    I am on an iPhone for this,
    Where is “sample” on obsidian?

Right where I said it was.

• Oh $&@!
    Thanks